BSOD Asus Motherboard A8V Deluxe

Newuser3649 00:26 20 May 2009

I have an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard that has run happily since 2004. A few weeks ago I decided to reinstall my software as I could not download Vista SP1 and had problems when I updated my Norton Antivirus as the system used to hang.

At the same time I replaced my 80 GB SATA main drive with the 250 GB SATA drive that I had been using as a second drive. They are both SATA I drives running at 150mb/s. I installed a new 500GB SATA II drive but did set its jumper to run at 150mb/s as opposed to the normal 300mb/s. They are both Maxtor drives.

The system has an AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+ 2.20ghz and 4GB RAM.

It runs Vista Ultimate. It has done so for 18 months with no real problems.

On boot up and during sessions I suffered a blue screen of death entitled bad pool caller. The system logs the following fault(s);-

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: c2
BCP1: 00000007
BCP2: 0000110B
BCP3: 00020203
BCP4: 8BDFC950
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini051009-05.dmp
C:\Users\Joy & Gordon\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-53328-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Joy & Gordon\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFCDE.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
click here

My local computer shop diagnosed a Trojan virus and cleaned it out. I reinstalled stuff and the system seemed to run okay for about two weeks.

The problem returned and it now takes about three or four attempts to boot, cycling through the BSOD and asking the system to boot into windows. Selecting the option of last known good configuration makes no difference.

Sometimes the computer will start first time, more often, not. Once it starts it seems to function alright, apart from a less sensitive mouse (Microsoft wireless version). I do not get the BSOD when Windows has loaded.

I have reset the CMOS to no avail.

Occasionally, the computer suggests that the over clocking has failed and invites me to set the default values. I have not over clocked anything.

It accepts all the windows updates.

I assumed the BIOS needed updating to accommodate the new drive, as it was running on the original bios. I downloaded the most recent non-beta version (1.17) from the Asus site. That was about 400kb in size. Once unzipped, it grew slightly to 512kb. I renamed it “A8V.ROM” as suggested in the manual. Whatever method I use to reflash the BIOS, the file is not recognised.

I have reinstalled the original Bios, which is on the set up CD, to no effect.

I wonder if the motherboard is beyond redemption. I don’t want to have to rebuild as socket 939 motherboards are no longer produced. A new build will mean an expensive project.

The fact that the system works fine once it eventually reboots seems to suggest that the motherboard/bios may be at fault. However I am at a loss as to how to update it as the usual methods are not accepted.

Is there an uncompressed version of the bios that I could try?

I would be grateful for any assistance to avoid wasting 20 minutes trying to start the computer.

If nothing else, I now do frequent backups for the day it finally expires....

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Gordon Thompson

brundle 00:29 20 May 2009

Sounds like the PSU could be a factor, can you try another?

phono 01:04 20 May 2009

Have you checked device manager for any conflicting devices or devices with errors?

Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:05 20 May 2009

On boot up and during sessions I suffered a blue screen of death entitled bad pool caller.

Faulty memory stick run memtest click here

Newuser3649 08:52 22 May 2009

The PSU replaced a previous one that failed and worked fine for some months before this issue.

I did the mem test and the boot up repair option with Vista.

No conflicts revealed in device manager.

The mouse was faulty, please ignore.

Graphicool1 09:33 22 May 2009

Troubleshoot your hardware... click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?