Browser Troun

Glen 14:56 22 Mar 2008

Browser Trouble.

My PC runs Win 98SE, and I have onboard both Microsoft browsers (O.E. & I.E.)and both Mozilla browsers (Firefox and Thunderbird). All used to work well, but now Mozilla Thunderbird does not connect and no Dial Up dialog box appears. The error message treads:
“Sending the username did not succeed. Mail server 127.0.0.1 responded. Cannot connect to POP server mail.waitrose.com (255.255.255.255.110) gethostbyname error 11001” unquote.
The fault must lie in my settings for that browser. I could not make any sense of the Mozilla web site. Can anyone help me put it right?
Glen

DieSse 15:01 22 Mar 2008

OE and Thunderbird are actually email clients, not browsers.

However - as to the problem - look in Tools - Options - Advanced - connection. What is that set to?

What type of internet connection do you have?

brundle 15:04 22 Mar 2008

Is that the actual IP address shown?

OE and Thunderbird are email clients, not browsers - why do you have both...are you actually using both for email or just Thunderbird?

Go into the account information for your Waitrose account, change the POP3 server entry to 80.189.92.122 (the IP address of the Waitrose POP3 server). Go to Tools/Account Settings, Server settings (for your Waitrose account, if you have more than a single account)

brundle 15:11 22 Mar 2008

Check your anti-virus software is fully functional too, if it's scanning your email then you may need to adjust the configuration of that instead of your email client (change the POP3 server).

Glen 21:01 24 Mar 2008

To DieSse - mY CONNECTION IS SET TO "dIRECT cONNECTION TO Internet.
To brundle - I have used Thunderbird for last 2 yrs, and prefer it, for its Spam filter.Havew only now reverted to OE as T/B not working.
Tried to find IP address in Server settings. Could only see "Server Type POP Mail Server", and "Server name 127.0.0.1" Is this the setting to change to 80.189.92.122 ?
Glen

VoG II 21:27 24 Mar 2008

127.0.0.1 is a loopback address to your own PC so that is obviously not going to work. Try changing it as brundle suggested.

DieSse 22:44 24 Mar 2008

"but now Mozilla Thunderbird does not connect and no Dial Up dialog box appears."

Are you expecting a Dial-up box, because you have a dial-up connection?

If so TB should not be set for a "direct connection to the internet".

woodchip 23:17 24 Mar 2008

Sound like you need to reset the E-Mail account settings in both mail programs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?