Browser safe colours...

barryoneoff.co.uk 01:35 25 Jul 2003

I am hopimg the almighty FE will see this post, as I know white is his fav BG.

I have finally decided that white is amongst the best BG colours for pages BUT...

not the glaring white you get when you use 'white'. The slightly 'off white', as used on this forum, which I intended to use on a site I am working on, always produces the message "selected colour is not browser safe".

I know I can use it anyway, but how 'unsafe' are colours that are not 'safe'. With the HTML editor I use, there are three palettes; custom, browser safe, and windows palette. Several times I have fancied a colour not in the safe section, but how will it affect visitors to a site if the colour used is 'not browser safe'?

I have no problems with the off white on this site, so would I be safe to use an unsafe? If not, why not? Cheers, Whiz...

Sir Radfordin 07:16 25 Jul 2003

click here for one persons thoughts on the subject and an example of save v unsafe color.

Forum Editor 11:58 25 Jul 2003

that white is my favourite background colour for websites - it's clean and classy, and the best business sites will tend to use it.

Web safe colours aren't as important as they were - although some purists would have you think so. All photographic images are likely to look a little different on the web than they do when printed - partly because computer screens show colours as a radiant image, rather than the reflected one that you see on a magazine page for example. Getting good colour rendition with online images can be tricky, but to be honest unless you are running a site that's designed to sell photographic images it doesn't particularly matter.

Experiment with your background - load it to the server, and then let us all take a look. I think you'll find that we'll all see pretty much what you intended.

Welcome to the white world Barry. I knew I would convert you eventually!

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:32 25 Jul 2003

I must admit, the more I try it the more I like it. Iy was just that pure white seems to glare too much. I will ignore the browser safe warning and go for the slightly off white.

Cheers, whiz...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017