Browser problem, trying to repair IE 6

panhandle 12:49 01 Aug 2005

Some regular sites on my daughters laptop are dsiplaying overlapping text and missing boxes/colours, all in the 'interactive' areas.

That is using IE 6. I installed Firefox, and it is great, no problems. Now I want to fix IE6.
I did a search for "ie.inf", followed through to do a repair, and I'm asked for the disc. That's fine - except her disc is SP1 - and the dialogue box wants SP2, which of course is installed but not on the disc.

Any alternative ways to proceed? Ideas gratefully received.

mattyc_92 12:52 01 Aug 2005

Have you tried download and burning SP2 to disk?

I know that this would take a while, but it is worth a try.

panhandle 13:43 01 Aug 2005

it would need to be on the same disc, and that is not a writeable disc. To download the whole lot, XP+ SP2 is a no no!
Maybe there is another way.
Great thought though.

woodchip 13:47 01 Aug 2005

Not IE. it's how the site as been designed. It's usually the other way round they work with IE and not with Firefox or Netscape

Hamish 13:55 01 Aug 2005

Try typing Repair Internet Explorer into google. It brings up a number of repair sites. Never tried them myself

Hamish 13:58 01 Aug 2005

Hi, Also type the same into the search box on the left of this page

VoG II 14:15 01 Aug 2005

Other repair methods click here

If you try the sfc method and it asks for a SP2 disk click here

panhandle 15:33 01 Aug 2005

Yout first suggestion was what I tried B4 coming here. Now I have run scannow, watched the 'file protection' box, until the progress bar filled in, and it disappeared. So all Ok there I guess.
But IE6 still a problem Firefox still fine.
??

VoG II 15:40 01 Aug 2005

You could try click here although your symptoms are not described.

panhandle 16:06 01 Aug 2005

VoG - tried IEFix as well, to no avail. I already copied i386 on to the hard drive, but it still wanted the disc with SP2. Anyway, it still ran, with several messages saying that the macjhines system was more up to date than the software source [CD or ie 386 folder].
That is actually a good thing.
However, maybe I need to re-install IE 6, if so what is the best way. If I go to add/remove components I only find the desktop desktop, not the full programme.

PC Bilbo 16:47 01 Aug 2005

If your daughter has XP SP1 licensed disc rather than recovery disc,you can contact Microsoft and they will send you free a Service Pack 2 CD(they may charge postage.Follow link below to order.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?