Browser Hijacker

crystalineentity 09:31 14 Apr 2007

I have a problem where a full screen pop up appears at random on any browser i use, noramally the page that pops up is 888.com, winantivirus and debt solution..i have anti virus that scans daily and spybot and spysweeper and 2 reg cleaners, no luck yet, it seems strange that it happens on ie6 and firefox plus opera, running win xp sp2 with 1 gig of memory nvidia 5500 and soundblaster audigy2 card...any ideas , i have tried some other spy zappers from the links in here....ta

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:38 14 Apr 2007

click here download Vundofix, run it and let it delete all it finds.

G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:39 14 Apr 2007

This sounds like coolwebsearch. click here hit downloads and get the coolwwwsearch smart killer and cwshredder, then use them in that order. see if it gets anything.

Then go to C:/windows/system32/drivers/ect/ and open the hosts file (you will need to uncheck the option to hide protected system files). Then delete everything in the hosts file and you should be ok.
If it dosen't let you save, go back to the hosts file, right click it, and make sure it isn't write protected. (note..some programs protect it like spybot, zone alarm, norton, and many others!..so you may want to go through your anti-virus, firewall, and anti-spyware programs to make sure they aren't protecting it either). That should get rid of the 888.com stuff

crystalineentity 10:11 14 Apr 2007

done them and it says no findings on my computer, cannot open the host file with any program, not sure what to use to open...ta

bof:) 15:35 14 Apr 2007

Hi crystalineentity, try running an online scan

click here

Mike

SB23 16:02 14 Apr 2007

Try Rogue Remover for the Winantivirus, not too sure about the others though.

Try it anyway.

click here

Steve

crystalineentity 18:56 14 Apr 2007

hi tried them will see how it goes thanx..

mocha 20:17 14 Apr 2007

If you have problems with the removal of virus's or spyware run your anti virus/spyware in Safemode. Make sure your security definitions are current.

p;3 20:22 14 Apr 2007

you might wish to register with click here

and get a log
click here

checked out from click here

The Kestrel 20:24 14 Apr 2007

If none of the above work, go to this website click here where you can get free expert advice on how remove malware.

The Kestrel 20:25 14 Apr 2007

Beat me to it p:3!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone