Browser hi jack

J. I. 16:11 08 Apr 2008

My son is trying to get rid of Orange web page which loads every time he clicks on Internet exployer. He has removed all traces of Orange from his computer. IE, From add/removes, c program files, windows exployer, run search and removed all traces, also on completion run rech mechanic to clean up any reg files. After all this it still loads as his browser. He has tried removing it and installing another browser through tools and internet options, but still it loads. Is there anyone out there that knows how to stop Orange loading in order to install ones own web browser. He has xp home with service pack one installed. Any help grately, grately appreciated

skidzy 16:15 08 Apr 2008

First thoughts are to update to service pack 2.

Has he gone into Tools / Internet Options / General and change the homepage to one of his liking.

Close IE and restart IE.

I doubt Orange is responsible for any Hijacking of the browser.

mfletch 16:16 08 Apr 2008

Has he reset his home page,

Tel him to look in Tools>manage add on;s

Is there a add on to do with Orange?

mfletch

birdface 18:02 08 Apr 2008

Reset home page.Tools.Internet Options.Type in the home page that you want.Then apply.Ok.

J. I. 18:08 08 Apr 2008

My opology he has service pack 2. Have previously been into tools and internet options and carried out what you suggested without any success, also looked at add on's, nothing in there to do with Orange. Strange thing the comp looks completely free of Orange and still it hi jacks Internet exployer. There must be a way to dislodge it, but i cant think of anything else to try

skidzy 18:27 08 Apr 2008

The only thing i can think of is that a program is protecting the homepage.

Such as Spybots TeaTimer/Winpatrol etc

If you do not have inpatrol installed,i recommend you do install this click here

Change your homepage and Winpatrol will protect it from further changes.

I still do not think Orange is hijacking you but maybe something else.

mfletch 18:29 08 Apr 2008

Does Orange ask him to take a tour? of the site it loads if yes take the tour,

mfletch

skidzy 18:43 08 Apr 2008

Run CWS Shredder,see if this helps.

click here

J. I. 16:54 09 Apr 2008

Thank all of you for taking the trouble to input to this problem. Have tried all suggestions including latest running cws shredder, and installing winpatrol, cws shredder found no problems and win patrol only informs of problems that occur after it has been installed, it seems a very good program so will keep on comp. Orange still persists on being the home page, looks like my sons stuck with it unless someone out there knows the fix

Mac70 16:58 09 Apr 2008

Try using search for all things Orange and remove anything found.
Then use CCleaner's registry tool and remove anything orange there, just remember to create a backup first.

Do you have Spybot installed?

Les28 17:27 09 Apr 2008

Have a look at this page about can't change home page.

click here

Might need to have a look in the registry, as explained in the link

( HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main in my pc, also XP SP2, is called Start Page not Home Page. )

Has your son found anything running in msconfig startup tab connected with Orange, he can do a search for startup items if not sure, anything running in services.msc, even a registry search under Edit, Find in Registry Editor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?