"browser does not support script" Google searches

Patr100 20:58 20 Jan 2007

I've noticed that for some sites, when they summary appears in a Google search list - the

"browser does not support script" statement appears before the first line or so of the readable text of the site's homepage.

It happens with one of my sites - obviously placed within the html because of the DHTML menu - in case it can't run

but is there any way to prevent that statement appearing in the Google search summary?

-

PurplePenny 18:51 21 Jan 2007

I don't know the answer to your question but I do have a question about your DHTML menu.

Since you are displaying "your browser does not support scripts" to users of script free browsers do I assume that they cannot use the menu at all? Or do you then go on to explain how they can navigate without it?

Patr100 19:59 21 Jan 2007

I could , (like many sites seem to do) just ignore those with non script enabled browsers but have also added a basic navigation menu with links for non script enabled visitors to fall back on.

-

Patr100 22:28 21 Jan 2007

I'm a "copy and paste" man when it comes to java script such as this as It's an automated DHTML menu made using a free Coffee Cup Software program.
I could hand edit the script and remove or modify that statement - otherwise I haven't added any meta tags - I find that Google seems to find find sites of mine pretty quickly anyway. even if not linked to other sites. maybe picking up on the home "page title" description.

PurplePenny 20:36 22 Jan 2007

How basic? The noscript alternative should give access to everything that the DHTML menu does.

You cannot ignore those with non script-enabled browsers. To do so would discriminate against anyone using certain assistive technologies (e.g. blind visitors to your site using screen readers).

PurplePenny 20:44 22 Jan 2007

I've just done a search and checked the code of a few sites. In some cases it was indeed the metatag description that Google used ... sadly in some cases it was text from the page even when there was a metatag description.

It seemed to depend on whether the search terms turned up in the metatag description or not. The sites that came up with extracts from the page had not got my search terms in the metatag description. (Or so it seemed from a quick glance at just a few sites.)

Patr100 21:08 22 Jan 2007

"How basic? The noscript alternative should give access to everything that the DHTML menu does."

Piurple Penny, it does. By baic I mean run of the mll HTML links not javacript.

Non Javsscript users get all the pages others do. I am aware of the issues - but the sad fact is many many sites out there ignore them.

-

Patr100 21:10 22 Jan 2007

"How basic? The noscript alternative should give access to everything that the DHTML menu does."

Purple Penny, it does. By basic I mean run of the Mill HTML links not JavaScript.

Non Javascript users get all the pages others do. I am aware of the issues - but the sad fact is many many sites out there ignore them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires