Browser connects but pages are not displayed

Georgie-B 09:48 05 Nov 2006

Using internal dial up modem, on my XP Pro laptop, to connect to phone line (ie no fast broadband being used here).

I launch my Web Browser…

It attempts to connect (loads of high pitched squealing).

It’s successful (small bubble icon, bottom of screen, even reads “…Dial up connected at 48Kbps…” and checking out ‘Network Connections’ shows it’s connected.

Web Browser reads “finding site…” OK nothing suspect there.

After an eternity (ie more than 60 seconds) reads “Page cannot be displayed…” yet the internet connect is still live… huh?

I’ve tried several website locations and even downloaded a different Web Browser (replacing Internet Explorer with Netscape -using another PC to download obviously) and installed it on the laptop. Still no joy.

The laptop was initially bought for a business environment intending to connect to a local network but I don’t think that happened – I’m reasonably savvy on some aspects of PCs but this has got me... maybe there’s some settings somewhere that I have to change ?

Any comments appreciated….

dms05 10:56 05 Nov 2006

Are you running a Firewall? Is your Browser configured to run behind the Firewall?

Georgie-B 19:24 05 Nov 2006

Two firewalls: one is the default windows one, this is on. The second is ZoneAlarm (Basic not Pro) this is also on but the 'program control' is set to allow Internet Explorer access (ie) it's set as a trusted program.

mammak 21:58 05 Nov 2006

No two firewalls are not good turn of the Windows one and I think most of your problems will be resolved well at leat it will be a start.

dms05 09:48 09 Nov 2006

Do you have to use a Proxy Server (or have you enabled this when you don't need one)?

dms05 09:50 09 Nov 2006

Try running this as a web apge, it checks to see if the Internet is available click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone