Browser connection fails

Woodman2 08:01 02 Aug 2008

My server comnnection is OK and I can send messages from OE but my IE7 and Firefox pages will not connect. It times out every time and cannot connect.

It was suggested I do a check by doing a ping test to yahoo - that was ok and then by running a command message which I did and I get this displayed.
" No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected"

Can someone please tell me how I go about connecting my media?
I haven`t knowingly disconnected anything and system restore doesn`t help.
Thanks

C3 08:16 02 Aug 2008

My favourite fix (if you are running Internet Explorer 7) is to go to Internet Options, Advanced, Click Restore Advanced Settings, then click Reset.

If this doesn't work, then maybe download the WinsockXPFix tool and run that.

Woodman2 17:51 02 Aug 2008

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried the Restore Advanced Settings but it made no difference.

I have a problem downloading and using WinsockXPFix as I can`t connect to the click here.

Woodman2 17:55 02 Aug 2008

Sorry for the end of my message confusion. I should have stopped at `I can`t connect to web pages.`

C3 18:58 02 Aug 2008

Did you click the Reset button below the Restore Advanced Settings as it defaults your IE settings back to factory.

You can get WinsockXPFix here : click here

kindly 19:18 02 Aug 2008

Hi woodman, I had a very similar problem that caused me no end of grief. I uninstalled IE7 because of it and even rolled back service pack three because I thought that was the problem. Connecting to the router was ok but when trying to get onto internet it all hung. Doing a scan with norton 360 never found anything wrong. I eventually downloaded two seperate spyware programs. The first Malwarebytes and then Superspyware. They both found the "Vundo Trojan". Norton never did. After these did thier thing my system has been ok. All I have to do now is put IE7 back and then service pack three. Hope this helps you.

Woodman2 06:43 03 Aug 2008

Thanks to you `kindly` for your advice, I would like to do more virus scanning but as I can`t connect to the web I am stuck!
Other programs seem to be working it`s just the faulty media network that is displayed on the log.

Thank you C3. I did as you suggested but it made no difference. I would like to use the Winsock tool but as I can`t download anything I can`t do that.

I have a recovery back up disk I made as instructed when I purchased this Advent 7108 18 months ago but I am a bit wary of using it. Maybe I now have little choice.

I also bought a Belkin Cat5E Crossover Patch cable to enable me to connect my 2 PCU`s together but I have no idea how to connect it or use it to help cure this problem. If that could be used I should be grateful for any advice.

Woodman2 06:43 03 Aug 2008

Thanks to you `kindly` for your advice, I would like to do more virus scanning but as I can`t connect to the web I am stuck!
Other programs seem to be working it`s just the faulty media network that is displayed on the log.

Thank you C3. I did as you suggested but it made no difference. I would like to use the Winsock tool but as I can`t download anything I can`t do that.

I have a recovery back up disk I made as instructed when I purchased this Advent 7108 18 months ago but I am a bit wary of using it. Maybe I now have little choice.

I also bought a Belkin Cat5E Crossover Patch cable to enable me to connect my 2 PCU`s together but I have no idea how to connect it or use it to help cure this problem. If that could be used I should be grateful for any advice.

birdface 08:32 03 Aug 2008

Click on local area connection and press repair.See if it comes up with any problems.or go into safe mode and run your security programs on there.Or do a system restore to a date before you had the problems.

Woodman2 10:42 03 Aug 2008

Thanks for the suggestion Buteman. This is where I have the problem. Clicking on LAN I get `Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged. Realtek RTL 8168/8111 PC1-E etc.` Unfortunately the `Repair` is greyed out.
I looked at the possibilities on LAN but all the settings etc. leave me confused.

I`ve tried system restore a few times without success.

birdface 07:59 04 Aug 2008

Maybe your Graphics Driver needs updating but someone else would need to give you the proper information on how to do it.But you can try Device Manager and see if there is any problems on there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?