Browser compatibility

Daunted 12:02 18 Oct 2006

I am a silver surfer who has decided to take up the challange of designing my own webpage/site. I am quite happy to learn HTML and CSS using just Notepad but when my new webpage/site appears in Firefox or Opera everything goes all over the place. I think this has something to do with the way IE6 interprets CSS. So, could someone help me out here before i lose interest and just give up. Is there a tutorial or even a book i could purchase that would explain in terms that even an old codger like myself can understand and overcome the problem mentioned earlier. Thanks folks! Daunted

Yangster 14:15 18 Oct 2006

Hi chap,

You should download a trial copy of Dreamweaver as this has all the CSS features built in and functions which make sure your site is multi browser compatibile - it is a 30 day trial so if you are doing just the one site it should do you.

Otherwise a nice little cheat is to find someones site you like the look of and do a right click and choose "view source" then you can copy their source code and find where their style sheet is located - then just type the URL of their CSS into your browser and download a copy of it... then save this as your CSS and away you go knowing it will be multi browser compatible...

Simon
click here

PurplePenny 20:20 18 Oct 2006

W3 Schools have good tutorials on HTML and CSS. They also provide interactive examples which allow you to change the code and see what happens:
click here

A whole list of useful links here on A List Apart:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?