Brother printer doesn't print blues

lonemascot 13:21 22 Aug 2009

Hi. I have a Brother 340CW printer. Recently the cyan wont print or it is restricted. I used all the print cleaning and alignment functions about 10 or so times but it hasn't seemed to have worked at all. I replaced the affected ink cartridge and reran all the cleaning but it still wont print cyan.

Is there anything else I can do?

oldbeefer2 13:35 22 Aug 2009

You could try cleaning the heads with alcohol - and example of how to do it click here

jack 13:39 22 Aug 2009

That is it's similar to HP/Canon where the print heads are incorporated in the cartridge, there are but two possibilities.
1. The contact strip in the Cart chamber- that makes contact with the ink cartridge is damaged or dirty-remedy is to clean it gently and endure by close inspection that it is not damaged or distorted.
or 2
The printer software is corrupted in some way.
remedy - remove and reinstall per the instruction.

woodchip 14:58 22 Aug 2009
  Sea Urchin 15:16 22 Aug 2009

Sorry to cut in on this thread - but I wondered if you would care to respond to your previous thread as to the outcome - many thanks in anticipation

click here

lonemascot 15:53 22 Aug 2009

The ink cartriges are separate from the print head and are individual. They have little hoses that take the ink to the print head. I have had a look inside the printer and have no idea how to get the print head off its rails without breaking it. I wanted to see the underside of it to clean the heads with alcohol.

The only other option I can see is to use an empty cartridge, fill it with alcohol and run the cleaning cycle until the alcohol gets through to the print head. I'm assuming that the head isn't completely blocked and will allow the alcohol through to cleanse it in the process.

Any other ideas welcome.

woodchip 16:51 22 Aug 2009

This may be of some use Ink Carts click here

lonemascot 20:24 22 Aug 2009

I'm not quite sure what your link is suggesting!

woodchip 22:57 22 Aug 2009

I posted them for you to check to see if they would help in any way. According to Reviews for your Printer, it is a Old Printer. May have paste its sell by date

jack 10:22 23 Aug 2009

This machine seems to be similar to an Epson- where the print head is 'inboard' and the ink comes in 'tanks'
This being so you may consider devising a 'head cleaning tool similar to this

[IMG]click here[/IMG]

lonemascot 11:12 23 Aug 2009

thanks for the post. I had wondered if doing something like that was possible. I didn't know if there would be any delicate valves that would get ruined by doing this though.

I'm going to get myself a brand new Brother MFC 490 CW for £120 anyway and I'll try fixing the other one in my spare time.

Cheers for the ideas guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?