Broken/Cracked CDS

Hinny 00:40 23 Jan 2003
  Hinny 00:40 23 Jan 2003

On holiday in the USA, a record shop was selling a gadget that "repaired cracked cds", it cost about £20.. Is it possible to repair a cd ? I have a couple of cracked cds with images on it that I would love to retrieve. I have to admit I wondered about it and was tempted !. Any comments ?, cheers

Cordy13 00:44 23 Jan 2003

Don't have a clue whether they work, but PCW have similar "Repair Kit".

jazzypop 00:59 23 Jan 2003

Cracked or scratched?

click here for a good description of the likelihood of a repair to various types of damage being successful (I would not recommend the blowtorch method, either).

Further info at click here and click here - Google has a whole lot more.

I have twice been asked to repair a CD drive where teenagers have left disks exposed to bright sunlight, causing the disk to go brittle. A CD shattering inside a drive is not a pretty sight, I have never yet managed to resurrect a dead drive that has suffered this abuse.

Therefore, if your disk is truly cracked, you have to weigh up the possibility of rescuing a valuable picture vs. the real possibility of having to replace your disk drive.

If you did decide to have a go, I would recommend placing one of the widely-available 'disk protector' plastic films on both side of the disk, to at least give you some extra stability to the disk.

Cordy13 01:01 23 Jan 2003

Good advice.

Hinny 14:19 23 Jan 2003

cds cracked, I did it trying to get them out of the case, (over enthusiastic). I really didn't think they could be fixed. cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?