Broken Seagate 500gb external hard drive

kates2787 17:36 02 Aug 2008

Hi, I bought a Seagate 500gb external hard drive in February and have put everything on it. A few weeks ago it started to disconnect itself when in use and I soon realised that the USB cable was loose when plugged into the hard drive. It got to the stage that it would just fall out of the hard drive even when no pressue or movement was applied. Last week I put the cable back in but it felt different so I had a look and the hard drive's USB connector had completely come away from the hard drive and disappeared inside! I moved the hard drive around until the connector could be seen from the USB gap but there's no way I can re-attach it. I emailed dabs.com (where I purchased it) and they have agreed to pick it up next week and possibly repair it if they can. Although this is good as it means I haven't lost any money I'm really worried I'm going to lose everything! I literally put all my music, movies, uni work, pictures, etc onto it and deleted them off my laptop as my laptop was so full. Is there any way I can 're-back-up' all my files? Do you think when they repair it everything will be lost? Thanks for reading

Pamy 17:45 02 Aug 2008

Tell them the situation

Arnie 17:56 02 Aug 2008

Any decent technician should be able to remove the cover from a disc drive. This would then enable the connector to be refitted and even glued back into place with a fast setting epoxy resin.

Everything hinges on whether the connector has detached itself from the printed wiring board, thereby damaging it.

If the unit is irreparable, then obviously it would be hard to retrieve the drive's data without special knowledge.

The moral of the story here is always back up data on a regular basis.

I hope things turn out okay for you.

Pamy 18:05 02 Aug 2008

It's a hard drive inside a tin can. It sounds as though the USB connecter has come adrift. It should be possibled to repair this without effecting the actuall drive. Tell them about all your data, because they may just replace the hole unit for a new one

Arnie 18:11 02 Aug 2008

I've just had another thought. You said you could see the internal USB connector when you move the drive around.

Wouldn't it be possible to reach the connector with a small pair of tweezers, then bring it forward and jam it sufficently enough to temporarily reconnect the cable?
You would then be able to transfer the data back to your laptop with a view having the drive replaced/repaired.

As Pammy suggested, discuss your worries with Dabs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?