Broken processor pins please help

lca5777r9 17:01 26 Apr 2015

ONE of the pins is broken on my processor. I tried to start the comp with it the fans turn on but there's no video on screen. Should I buy a new processor? Will my motherboard be broken? of i send it back will they replace/repair it? Amd 860K this is my first build

Ian in Northampton 17:15 26 Apr 2015

Processor pins can't be mended, so you're definitely looking at buying a new processor. If the broken pin is still in the socket on the motherboard, you're almost certainly looking at a new motherboard too. If the broken pin/motherboard are your fault, I doubt you'd get either replaced for free. It looks like it could be an expensive mistake.

bumpkin 17:40 26 Apr 2015

Sometimes you can get away with it if it is just a ground pin but from what you say it is not. New CPU and Mobo when it had this unless you can get the pin out of the board, are you sure it has broken off and not just bent flat.

bumpkin 17:43 26 Apr 2015

Do not try fitting a new CPU unless you are certain that the pin is out of the mobo or you will break the new one also.

lca5777r9 19:48 26 Apr 2015

the pin isn't in the board. How do i know it wasn't just a ground pin and the there's no video for another reason????

bumpkin 20:24 26 Apr 2015

* How do i know it wasn't just a ground pin and the there's no video for another reason????*

You don't! but if you are sure the pin is not in the board then before spending money you can refit the cpu and explore other options for no video. If that fails then assume it was not a ground pin in which case new CPU. I am trying to save you spending money if you do not have to.

bumpkin 20:29 26 Apr 2015

where is the missing pin.

bumpkin 20:43 26 Apr 2015

You could have a look at this to give you some idea click here

wee eddie 00:18 27 Apr 2015

Firstly: Not all processors have a full square of pins. There are frequently blanks which help you install it the correct way, typically in one corner.

So, get a picture of the Processor and check it out before doing anything else

robin_x 02:27 27 Apr 2015

Also see here (from: these)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?