Broken network cable

Alf58 23:11 27 Feb 2006

My daughter dropped a heavy sharp object on her network cable causing damage to one internal wire and severing two others. My question: the two severed wires were the two yellow inter twined wires. There is no way I can tell which of the two ends of the yellow wires should connect to which of the other two yellow severed ends. Does anyone out there know what the yellow wires do and what the consequences would be of me connecting them the wrong way round?

phono 23:27 27 Feb 2006

I would guess that not much in the way of actual hardware damage would ensue, but in view if the low cost involved, I would just buy a new Ethernet cable, it will prove to be an infinitely more reliable solution.

Alf58 23:29 27 Feb 2006

The cable in question is a lengthy one one going from her room into the loft and across the house. It cost around £30 from PC World so I'm reluctant to fork out if I can avoid it.

johnnyrocker 23:31 27 Feb 2006

best bet fork out and route it more safely.

johnny.

Ray5776 23:31 27 Feb 2006

If you peel back the outer casing a few inches there "should" be some kind of colour coded banding which will enable you to match up the correct wires>

remind 23:32 27 Feb 2006

maplin usually undercut pc world for such things, or try click here or click here

Forum Editor 23:40 27 Feb 2006

The Cat5 cable colours, from left to right, as you insert them into the connector are:-

Brown, White/Brown, Green, White/Blue, Blue, White/Green, Orange, White/Orange

Patch cables that you use with your Ethernet connections are "straight-through", which means that pin 1 of the plug on one end is connected to pin 1 of the plug on the other end, and odd pin numbers always correspond to striped conductors.

phono 23:41 27 Feb 2006

You paid through the nose for that cable, no offence intended, see the following links for details of Cat 5 cables click here

click here

click here

You should look here click here for cables as well as click here for good quality cheap Ethernet cables.

Strawballs 00:02 28 Feb 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?