Broken monitor socket

Nelsonpk2000 20:37 22 Nov 2006

My friend has a pc with a broken monitor socket, the result of pulling the monitor cable without unscrewing the plug. The pc has onboard graphics and has an AGP slot on the motherboard. Can he just plug in a graphics card and connect to that or does it have to have the onboard disabled first, in which case he's had it as there is no way to see the settings.
Many thanks in advance.

rodriguez 20:49 22 Nov 2006

Most motherboards automatically switch between on board and AGP graphics. However, if this socket has some pins from the monitor cable stuck in it, it might think that the monitor's still plugged in - but a lot of the time the AGP card is dominent so if it detects the card it'll switch to the card. It's basically a case of try it and see. If you have a spare graphics card you can put in there to test it with, there's no harm in trying.

Nelsonpk2000 21:00 22 Nov 2006

Thats what I thought should happen but was not positive. I put in an old card but, although the monitor knew it had been plugged in (check signal message dissapeared), there was no picture. I have given the card to a friend to try in his machine just in case the card is at fault. If it works in his, then I don't know how to advise him apart from buy a new machine!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017