Broken computer - No activity

Cam-330894 21:25 07 May 2003

Hi All,
I don't know if any of you can help. A friend of mine has just left his system box with me, there is absolutely no activity on this computer. When it is switched on the CPU fan spins but that is all. Nothing else happens no bleeps, no lights. I have had a quick look inside and all seems well.
Before I dash in, I would like to know what you think is the most likely culpit, be it the CPU or MOBO?
One other thing, it appears that the MOBO is insecure, it is only held at 3 points.

Over to you.

woodchip 21:33 07 May 2003

Try a spare PSU first

AMD 4 ever 21:36 07 May 2003

Is it a custom build? and is it still under warranty?

Cam-330894 21:38 07 May 2003

I have a spare PSU, I am not sure of the wattage of the original. I do not have any specs., for the broken machine as it was purchased secondhand.

This will be my first task tomorrow unless I get any better ideas.

goonerbill 21:52 07 May 2003

as woodchip said, try another psu but first check that all cards and memory are seated correctly.

Zaxifone 22:58 07 May 2003

Is the hard drive spinning when you switch on? It sounds like it could be a memory problem....

Z.

woodchip, the computer tests the memory before it spins the hard drive if the problem is in memory the hard drive wont spin up.

brasscutter is defitely the cpu fan spinning or just the psu fan. check Everything is seated correctly. if the mobo was that loose maybe it has shortcircuited against the case (which is terminal)

Rayuk 18:23 08 May 2003

If the motherboard is shorting out it doesnt mean it is 100% terminal,many builders on first start up find this has happened and when refixing board correctly everything is up and away.

woodchip 21:43 10 May 2003

PSU may be only supplying limited power, but not enough for system and hardware to start, a fan going is no guarantee that the PSU is any good

VoG™ 21:47 10 May 2003

woodchip 21:59 10 May 2003

Hopefully some one may learn something, but you will see that there as been no response for some time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?