Broadband on XP - greyhound. On 98 - dachshund.

GrahamP 20:18 21 Feb 2004

I'm on Tiscali 150K. On XP my broadband connection performs as I expect. On 98, same machine, it is so slow many pages fail to connect.

It's not a time of day issue. I've tested many times within minutes of each other. It's consistently bad on 98. It's also not a specific site issue. 98 is slow on everything even the google search page.

I've checked the settings against Tiscali's guide
click here and I've trawled through previous posts on this subject. Only Akinbiyi's thread was relevant and this seems to have dried up without a resolution. click here

I've also downloaded but not yet used the tweaks at DrTCP and CyberTweak but I'm sure there is something more basic I'm missing here.

I dread phoning the boys in Bangalore so I'd be grateful if anyone can help. Any ideas?

Just to emphasise, this isn't a request for speedcheck links.

GrahamP 16:54 04 Jul 2004

Just noticed that I never closed this one.

Tiscali mailed all their customers with the following:

"Dear Tiscali Customer

Broadband Number: nnnnnnnnnnnn

If you are using Windows 98 / ME with the Sagem modem, you may have been experiencing problems viewing web pages when using your Tiscali Broadband Service recently.

To ensure this does not happen again, we strongly recommend that you make the following adjustment .

Select the Windows Start button (On the bottom left hand side of the screen) this will then present you with the Start Menu.
From here select "Programs" and you will be presented with the list of programs on your PC, select the entry Sagem [email protected] 800-840 and then from the sub-menu that appears, select "DSLMON"
This will bring up a small screen with the DSL status showing "transmit" and "receive" rates.
While this screen is visible, on your keyboard hold down the "alt" key and then press the letter "d".
This brings up a series of tabs, select the second tab that is labelled "CONFIG" at the bottom of the tab, under the heading USB there are three entries BULK, ISO and BULK/ISO you will need to click on ISO so that it becomes the preferred setting.
Once this is done select the "Apply" button, then "OK" and close the DSLMON window.
You will now need to restart your computer.
Once complete your computer will now be optimised for Tiscali Broadband

Regards"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?