Broadband - won't work on one phone line

Diodorus Siculus 17:20 21 Jan 2006

A friend has just asked me to have a look at his broadband - says it works fine on the main connection in the hall way but will not work on an extension upstairs. He says the phone works fine on the upstairs extension and he has a filter there.

Any thoughts before I go to have a look tomorrow?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:28 21 Jan 2006

check extension is wired correctly click here

Diodorus Siculus 17:32 21 Jan 2006

Good thought.

What about the fact that the phone works ok though?

palinka 17:44 21 Jan 2006

might also be worth checking the rest of his phone line - friend of mine had similar problems (though all his phone sockets were side by side in the hall!) Turned out his phone line passed through a tree and over time the tree branch had grown round the wire. It's a very long shot but you never know!

howard63 17:47 21 Jan 2006

the most likely thing is that the extension has the wires on terminals 2 and 5 reversed.

driving man 17:47 21 Jan 2006

This is something that happened to me:--I put in an extension cable but obviously didnt get the connections right at one end of the cable. Could dial out but not receive.I checked this out by using a Blo**dy long extension cable that had plugs on both ends ---it worked ---ergo I got it wrong when wiring up the plug ends or there was a break in yhe cable itself

Simsy 18:03 21 Jan 2006

another possibility is that the extension is taken from a filtered point, i.e. the actual cable that is extending upstairs is plugged into the phone line side of a filter.

Unlikely perhaps, but it would result in this.

Regards,

Simsy

Diodorus Siculus 18:27 21 Jan 2006

Thanks - will have a go and report back. In the meantime any suggestions still welcome.

Diodorus Siculus 18:27 21 Jan 2006

Any _further_ suggestions, I mean :-)

Hamish 18:29 21 Jan 2006

Faulty Filter

agostini 18:42 21 Jan 2006

I HAD A PROB WHEN I TRIED TO AD A NEW PRINTER WITH A PHONE CONNECTION- AND ADDED A FILTER AFTER THE FILTER THAT WAS INPLACE FOR BROADBAND??
Ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?