Broadband with Windows 98 is it possible?

ThickMick 19:11 07 Oct 2007

A couple of questions for my sister. She has Windows 98, AMD Atholon 1000 Processor and approved motherboard. 256mb pc133 ram. 32mbnvidia riva tnt2 64agp graphics card.

At present on BT dialup and thinking of Virgin media Broadband.

So forget gaming as used for e mails and surfing would broadband run at all on this computer please?

VoG II 19:17 07 Oct 2007

Apparently not click here but worth giving them a ring as I used to run Blueyonder/Telewest (now Virgin Media) on a W98 PC.

ThickMick 19:30 07 Oct 2007

Thanks VoG No wonder they call me thick Mick as on Virgin and didn't think to look

So Afraid 19:42 07 Oct 2007

You may not get cable broadband but you should be able to get broadband from other companys like tiscali and many others,someone will be able to tell you for certain.

woodchip 20:15 07 Oct 2007

Yes I use 98se with Broadband

So Afraid 20:20 07 Oct 2007

Just been checking a few providers and like woodchip says you can get broadband

woodchip 20:34 07 Oct 2007

All you need is a good router and it should connect to any

kdt 20:35 07 Oct 2007

your processor twice as fast other spec about the same. i upgraded from 98 to w2k now xp pro added 2nd hand ram now 320 & working fine on aol silver around 2-4 mbps(last check 4596.91 kbps down 370.96 up)...running the desktop for fun till breaks down then go for new one...had since jan 2000

ThickMick 22:33 07 Oct 2007

Many thanks for the advice everyone. Think she was interested in the Virgin 2 for £20 offer icluding Telephone, Broadband and Digital TV. This would save her having a new TV aerial and save a few pounds a month on subscriptions. Just got to weigh up options. I had a XP upgrade CD from Amazon which all worked OK so she might take that route. Doesn't fancy a new PC with Vista though.

octal 23:01 07 Oct 2007

I use Virgin Media cable broadband with Linux and it works perfectly OK, it doesn't matter what operating system you use, unless you want to load their CD which is a load of rubbish anyway.

Whenever I ring them and they ask what system I use they always tell me my system isn't supported, that's because they haven't a clue about Linux only Windows is listed on their script they read out to you.

DieSse 23:24 07 Oct 2007

I'm pleased octal said what he did, as I suspected they may be talking rubbish, but had no way to verify it.

I can't see how the OS will affect things at all, as long as you can use it without installing any software - which octal confirms you can.

So ignore them and just do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?