Broadband on win 98 (not second edition)

Mavisk 23:39 30 Aug 2005

A friend has decided to get broadband and has gone with AOL.
He was unable to get connected after receiving his modem,and after contacting them he was told he needs
Win 98 SE, for Broadband to work. He currently has Win98(not second edition)
Does anyone have any experience with this problem and if the only way around this is to upgrade to Win 98 se. He does own a full Win 98 se disc( not an upgrade disc) how can he do this keeping all his settings,and progs, without having to do a full reinstall.

johnnyrocker 00:09 31 Aug 2005

i expect it is a usb connection and he really has no chance as 98 has virtually no usb support and in that respect he is stuffed, i believe that there might be an option to install and save files but i will leave that to the more knowledgeable

johnny.

Tim1964 00:35 31 Aug 2005

I'm using win98 1st ed. with my NTL 2Mb BB. Originally via USB and now through ethernet.

A lot of hardware seems to quote SE as a minimum but I've had no problems with digital cameras, mp3 players etc.

octal 07:03 31 Aug 2005

Does the modem have an Ethernet port on it? If it does it is worth buying an Network Interface Card for £5 click here it will probably be more reliable as well.

Mavisk 15:03 31 Aug 2005

I have managed to install win 98 se over the top keeping all of his settings and progs.Thanks for all
replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?