broadband who else is discriminated against?

  papillion 14:16 27 Apr 2003

I just wonder is anyone like me who lives in a rural area has NO chance of broadband, we are not in the limit for BT, no cable, nothing and lately a company doing a limited wirless trial initiative has because we have a agricultural address won't let us sign up for the limited trial, even though were a private household, what experience has others had, or are we rural folks being had?

  devilsprofessor 14:42 27 Apr 2003

Not sure if this is any use b\c personally I'm a city peep but, if u have a phone line and its BT who u r with then try asking em why they can't upgrade yer line to ADSL (broadband).
See I'm with BT and AOL broadband and all I had to do was order AOL Broadband and AOL got BT to update my line to ADSL and u don't get a charge for it. Although they did have to check my phone number was and my line cud have this conversion.
Finally AOL told me that they cover 98% of Britain. I'm sure more than the other 2% is rural!
Hope that helped if any

  ^wave^ 14:43 27 Apr 2003

well to be honest i am pleased with my ntl dial up and it may be slower than broadband but its a lot cheaper to and the net is only as quick as the slowest point too

  graham√ 14:47 27 Apr 2003

Do you mean you are too far from the BT exchange?

  Goldcroft 14:54 27 Apr 2003

As someone from another no-broadband area, Papillion, just look at the situation from another angle: would you prefer to have broadband and live in the middle of some awful city or be where you are in a rural location, where, like myself, you can have your bedroom windows open at night, if that is, you can survive the dawn chorus.

  Confab 15:05 27 Apr 2003

Check out the July edition of PC Advisor. Hopefully it may have some good news for people like you who can't get BB at the moment.


  papillion 15:06 27 Apr 2003

yes goldcroft you can have your window open unless someone is spreading s####, its the principle if like its been said 98% can be covered which I doubt very much its just spin, as we'er over 5km from an exchange unles things change weather one is a buisness or not in our area we would see pigs fly before broadband came here, and yes MY ntl is good to, thats all.

You will find that the 98% covered is population, not area. There's a considerable difference.

  graham√ 15:45 27 Apr 2003

Let's be philosophical about this. Many people in the world don't have a water supply to their home, just a bucket. They are not being discriminated against, they just live too far from the well. I'm sorry, but you've only got a bucket at the moment.

  ardvarc 16:49 27 Apr 2003


I think that is a rather crude and stupid answer to a honest question. There is absolutely no comparison to Broadband and people dying of thirst, some of whom were trodden on by our 'Great' country. I hope your bl**dy roof gets a great big hole in it.

  Confab 17:06 27 Apr 2003

graham√ didn't mention anything about people dying of thirst, just they may live too far from the well. Lighten up mate, it was just a comparison. Have a cup of tea and chill out a bit.


This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?