Broadband - what security measures should i take?

Mezzo 10:28 25 Jan 2003

I installed Freeserve Broadband yesterday (works a treat!), but I'm not sure what I should have in the way of security.

I'm running Norton AntiVirus 2002 and have its automatic LiveUpdate switched on (so its all up to date). I also have SpyBot to get rid of annoying ads, after having read its good reports on these pages. This is all running on Windows XP Home, and I think I have all the XP security measures switched on as well (firewall??).

Do I need a program that shows the 'attacks' on my computer???

Thanks for any help.

p.s. All I got from Freeserve was an installation disk. I was expecting a modem and set up fee and to be debited for 85 quid. Got a US Robotics ADSL modem yesterday and just plugged it in. Very easy to do. As far as I know all i'll be debited for is the 27.99 a month subscription fee and thats it!!! I could have sworn I ordered a modem though.....strange.

Lozzy 10:31 25 Jan 2003

If your paranoid then get Norton personal Firewall if your not then what you have will suffice.. You have more chance of winning the lottery than getting hacked..

Also try going into Symantec.com and carry out a security check and that will tell you if your pc is vulnerable

won2ok 14:32 06 Apr 2003

I have just installed an Alcatel USB High Speed modem to my XP Home system and logged onto my broadband ISP. The connection runs very very slowly with NIS 2002 enabled and normal speed with it (fingers crossed) disabled. I have downloaded umpteen guides from Symantec but so far none have solved the problem. Could it be conflicting with XP's own Internet Connection Firewall, or something else?

mikef™ 15:04 06 Apr 2003

If you have XP's firewall switched on as well you can switch it off as you don't need both, as you say this could be a reason for your problem.

Audeal 15:51 06 Apr 2003

Mezzo. It took me four weeks to get the modem out of Freeserve under the present offer they are doing.

The problem was that I ordered the setup disk online and not by telephone as the E-Mail said.

I threatened to go elsewere on three ocations but it seemed no one wanted to know.

Well now I have it and it was a doddle to set up and I am now happy with it.

Good luck with your Broadband setup.

trotto 10:48 11 Apr 2005

I am not on Broadband and I wonder how good an idea it is to install, for instance, the freebie with this month's mag of the McAfee firewall plus? I have internet banking and am getting more alarmed by the stories one reads. My son, who knows more about these things, says that if I install the McAfee it will slow down my computer too much and that the basic anti-virus system that I have already got should suffice. Any comments would be most welcome. Thanks.

Stuartli 12:30 11 Apr 2005

You are best to forget (i.e. Disable) the Windows firewall and install ZoneAlarm (free version) which will prove far more effective, as others will no doubt confirm.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?