Broadband and the telephone

Willow12 19:43 04 Jun 2003

I have just (about 1/2 hour ago) set up Broadband for the first time having previously been on a dial-up. Everthing is fine apart from the fact that the telephone has become really buzzy. I had to almost shout down the phone at BT in cancelling my account!

Is this normal when using filters or do I have a problem.

My IP is now Pipex Xtreme ADSL.

Thanks.

otubby1 20:10 04 Jun 2003

You have to put one of your microfilters between the phone and the wall socket.

I take it you did get two filters??

jospar 20:12 04 Jun 2003

I think you might have a duff spliter box, or have you by any chance have any other electrical cable/equipment running near the cable you're using. as this might cause interance.

I woulod give pipex a call and ask them to replace the spliter boxes.

malgall 20:15 04 Jun 2003

all phones or computers must be connected to a microfilter and not directly to phone line

graham√ 20:37 04 Jun 2003

Check your installation at click here

Note that the modem does need a filter if it is in a socket on its own.

graham√ 20:44 04 Jun 2003

If you still have noise, click here

Willow12 21:53 04 Jun 2003

When you say that all phones must be connected to a micro filter does that include my downstairs phone line that already has a sky connection to it but is no where near my PC? Unstairs phone and pc both go through a micro filter already.

Trying your links now graham√

mikef™ 22:02 04 Jun 2003

Yes it does ALL phones on the line must be connected to a micro filter as that is what splits the signal. If you look at this diagram from BT you will see all phones have a micro filter click here wait for the redirect.

Despicable Desperado 22:07 04 Jun 2003

Remember that it is not just phones that need a filter it is any analogue device (eg a normal modem)that is plugged into the phone line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?