Broadband speeds and Ping factor

compumac 12:24 18 Aug 2017

Broadband download speeds and Ping

I have been having problems with Broadband download speeds of late where I have had in the region of 43Mbps for the past four years, this suddenly halved and there was an external fault located and supposedly repaired. The engineer indicated that the ping factor was the most important factor and that the download speed was of lesser importance. 1) Is the engineer correct? 2) What then is a good ping?

Secret-Squirrel 13:00 18 Aug 2017

I have had in the region of 43Mbps for the past four years, this suddenly halved............

If they're still half of what they used to be, and you were promised a rough estimate of your downloads speeds prior to signing up, then get in touch with your ISP and ask them to put it right. If however you're on, for example, an "up to 50Mb" package then you probably don't have a leg to stand on.

Ping is the latency of your connection and it is important - especially for online gaming. 25ms (or slightly more for a wireless connection) is good but anything under 100ms is considered acceptable.

compumac 13:18 18 Aug 2017

Secret Squirrel I have been speaking to my ISP for the past ten weeks with not just the reduction in speed but also continually dropping out. The ISP agreed that by Custom and Practice I should be getting what I have been having for the past years without regard to what may have been estimated some years ago. That discussion is now hopefully behind me.

My query is in respect to the ping factor in relationship to the download speed, - which is the major factor?

Are the two directly related in that one affects/controls the other

Secret-Squirrel 14:06 18 Aug 2017

My query is in respect to the ping factor in relationship to the download speed, - which is the major factor?

They're two very different things. Download speeds affect how quickly you get that webpage or movie, and ping affects how long you have to wait before the data starts to download after you've requested it.

Are the two directly related in that one affects/controls the other

No.

compumac 14:19 18 Aug 2017

Secret Squirrel

Thanks for that - very succinct and makes sense - a slight variation on the Open Reach engineers detail but more specific. The engineer attached far more importance to the Ping than the download speeds.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache