Broadband Speeds

LimestoneRock 11:53 15 Jul 2010

Iam with TalkTalk advertising up tp 8Mb/s.I actually get on average between 1.5/1.8 Mb/s. When I signed up the form stated that based on my distance from exchange, I should get 3.5Mb/s. In talking to my supplier recently, I was told the maximum is 2.5Mb/s to expect.
If I paid increased monthly subs to get increased speed -say, ostensibly 20Mb/s- how can this speed be increased when I am told the maximum I can receive is 2.5Mb/s. If the supplier can give me more than 1.5/1.8Mb/s if I pay more money, why should it not deliver the up to 8Mb/s they advertise for the monthly sub I currently pay? I hope I have made the question clear!!!

onthelimit 12:06 15 Jul 2010

If you are a long way from the exchange, or the line is in poor condition, you'll only get the low speed no matter what the ISP promises. If you live next door to the exchange, then paying more will (probably) result in the higher speed.

northumbria61 12:08 15 Jul 2010

The answer is in your question - UP TO 8MB - what you actually get could be considerably less based on a number of factors - the distance from your exchange, the quality of your telephone line, router and the time of day (yes, speeds can vary at different times of day) etc.

The only way you could possibly get 20MB's is via Cable Broadband (Virgin or similar if it is available in your area)
ie: If your exchange and telephone line are currently only capable of delivering 2.5MB's then that is unfortunately what you you will have to put up with until such times as BT and the like get around to upgrading their lines, services etc.

onthelimit 12:12 15 Jul 2010

You can check what should be your best speed should be (bear in mind northumbria's comments about time of day etc) click here It is very accurate for mine.

Batch 12:23 15 Jul 2010

Not acheiving the quoted speeds (for your specific line / location) is common. One of the main causes is the telephone services wiring in the property.

The wiring may just be poor and / or it may be that the "ring wire" is still connected in your telephone serivices wiring. See if any of the following help:

Firstly, general info on telephone wiring:
click here

click here

Info about the ring wire and removal of:

click here

click here

click here

Other stuff on speeds and how long it takes to stabilise after you've made changes:
click here

click here

LimestoneRock 13:23 15 Jul 2010

Many thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017