Broadband speed yet again

Seadog 00:45 13 Dec 2007

Hi guys, I know this subject has been round and round, but can anyone advise me on the following:
I was upgraded to 20Mb broadband when I changed packages with Virgin Media (i.e. cable) about three weeks ago, previously I was on 4meg and speed tests showed about 3650kbps download and 350kbps upload.
Now, all the tests I have done from several (at least six) websites show 4500 - 5600kbps and 710 upload apart from the one that loads java script files which strangely enough shows around 8600kbps download and tells me my connection is probably 10meg.
I contacted Virgin (cost of calls over £5) and the nice Indian man got me to download two game files at the same time from Virgins website and to tell him the speeds - each one downloaded at over 550kbps, giving a total of 1100kbps which this nice man said was ok for 20meg - is he right or what? My connection doesn't seem to be any faster than before, I expected pages to be opening a bit faster and such, but nothing has really changed, downloads don't seem to be any faster - anyone any ideas before I waste more money talking to India?

Or am I expecting too much?

MCE2K5 00:52 13 Dec 2007

I wish I could Download that fast.

Seadog 01:01 13 Dec 2007

Generally most of my downloads come in at a max of 250 - 300kbps depending on the website they are coming from, some are as low as 25kbps, what I am really peeved about is that the speed tests generally show only a small increase when in theory I am going from 4 to 20 meg, I would be reasonably happy if a test showed, say, 12meg. I realise that it is UP TO 20meg so will be slower than that in reality, but lets face it, only 5.5 is a bit poor is it not?

Seadog 01:01 13 Dec 2007

Generally most of my downloads come in at a max of 250 - 300kbps depending on the website they are coming from, some are as low as 25kbps, what I am really peeved about is that the speed tests generally show only a small increase when in theory I am going from 4 to 20 meg, I would be reasonably happy if a test showed, say, 12meg. I realise that it is UP TO 20meg so will be slower than that in reality, but lets face it, only 5.5 is a bit poor is it not?

MAJ 01:52 13 Dec 2007

It certainly seems as if your not getting your full speed, Seadog. Downloading a file at a rate of 1100kBps (kilobytes per second) equates to about an 8.8 Meg connection, say 10 Meg allowing for losses. What you want to do about that is between you and Virgin, but I would be a little miffed if I was paying for a 20 Meg connection, even though they would probably say it is 'up to' 20 Meg.

jimv7 11:12 13 Dec 2007
  birdface 11:30 13 Dec 2007

Have a quick look.You may find something that helps.click here

Seadog 12:27 13 Dec 2007

Jimv7
Thanks, but I've used that test before and it never gives a result of more than 8.2 mbps, telling me my connection is probably 10meg.

buteman
Yeah, I read that post shortly after posting this one, I have ad-aware, windows defender (not very good!) spy-bot and avg professional and none of them show anything but will try that one you recommended to snoopygirl.

Thanks to you both for replying.

Seadog 12:30 13 Dec 2007

Oh sorry, I have jv16 power tools and also ccleaner which I use very day to clean up so to speak!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?