broadband speed very low

gizzyx 14:05 08 Sep 2006

for the last few days, my broadband speed seems to be VVVVEEEERRRRYYYY slow. i'm on tiscali 1 mb service and it is normally o.k. but pages seem to be very slow to load and have been for about 4 days now. i've just done a couple of online bb speed tests, and the results are very poor, not much better than dial-up!!!!. i've run my up-to-date antivirus (avg),spybot s&d,and ad aware (both up-to date)no problems found. can anyone suggest what might have caused this sudden and drastic loss of speed? any ideas what to look for? thanx in advance

Cant.think.of.a.username 14:14 08 Sep 2006

I have the same problem ! Am on tiscali 1 mb also. done all the virus and spyware checks all saying ok. my counter srike ping rate has gone from 30 ish to 250!! and as a result I keep been kicked off.

help would be great

dazwm 15:22 08 Sep 2006

An obvious answer maybe but have you contacted Tiscali technical support?

Stuartli 15:24 08 Sep 2006

..or Tiscali's Help pages on the subject?

click here

surfmonkey #:@}© 15:30 08 Sep 2006

your not the only ones boys my 2mb has dropped to 209kb ahhhhhhhhh

let me know if anyone contacts tiscali and what they have to say
thanks surfmonkey

ame 15:36 08 Sep 2006

I am getting similar problems and am on Tiscali 2Mb but only seemed to be getting about 0.9Mb download on average - i.e. 1Mb service. I e-mailed Tiscali support last night, who say today that my circuit was wrongly built (?!!) and they have sorted it.

I also cleaned out my cookie and temporary internet/offline files as advised, but am now getting 0.2Mb according to "their" speedtester! However, I am getting 1.8Mb according to click here.

I have tried several speed testers "back to back" last night and today and seem to get wildly different results. Suggest you try different speedtesters such as the one above.

Can anyone explain the massive differences? I haven't got anything other than McAfee VirusScan running in the background.

Stuartli 15:37 08 Sep 2006

It could just be that Tiscali is reaching the final stages of establishing its own LLU equipment in certain exchanges - but that's only a guess.

It did happen towards the end of last year when it caused me to lose an excellent 2MB service due to Tiscali "service enhancements"; as a result I had to drop to 1MB at the time.

Stuartli 15:38 08 Sep 2006

If you raise the matter on the Tiscali website's Broadband Forum you may get action quicker - the moderators are either support staff or can instigate help quickly.

Much cheaper than phoning and quicker than e-mailing.

gizzyx 16:19 08 Sep 2006

Speed Test Results

Downstream 97.9 Kbps ( = 0.1 Mbps )
Upstream 123.1 Kbps ( = 0.1 Mbps )
not much good from a 1mb service do you think? tried several speedtests and pretty much same everywhere. will contact tiscali.
thanx again guys.

picklefactory 16:32 08 Sep 2006

I'm on Plusnet and also having a similar problem for the last week or so.
This from their Support are re: Tiscali

"We have been in close contact with Tiscali over the past couple of weeks regarding this problem, and they have identified a problem with NTL, who supply the fibre cabling from the exchanges to the Tiscali network. NTL have been performing large scale maintenance across their network, which is believed to be a large contributory factor to the broadband disconnections. They performed some further maintenance at 2am this morning, which appears to have increased stability. Tiscali are also working closely with Cisco to improve the code that they are using on their routers, to increase stability.

Hope that helps you to at least know a possible cause

IClaudio 16:46 08 Sep 2006

gizzyx

A shot in the dark, but do you have a wireless network? If 'yes', then is it secure?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache