Broadband speed and filters for phoneline

naviator 20:38 29 Mar 2010

Recently I bought a new chordless telephone. No problem as it worked perfectly. However when I came to use my computer I found that the broadband connection speed had dropped to about 2.4Mbps. About three months ago it had risen from about this figure to 6.4Mbps where it remained steady. Having dropped to a low level again it varied between 2.3 and 2.8Mbps and once jumped to 6.7Mbps but didn't stay there. I then found that I hadn't connected the new phone's connection via the filter I had used before although the computer's filter was still in place. Now, for what it is worth, connecting the phone again via the filter has restored broadband to a respectable and steady 6.2 - 6.4Mbps. We live in a fairly remote country location and our small exchange is about 300 yards away. It may be that some folk living in country locations aren't using filters in their phone and computer connections, with detrimental results to their broadband speeds. It may be worth their putting in filters. This is just a suggestion which may perhaps help with what appears to be a fairly widespread problem. I may be quite wrong of course. Comments would be welcome.

Technotiger 21:25 29 Mar 2010

It is a well-known fact, at least among Computer regular users, that all telephones, faxes etc must be connected via a ADSL filter when using a router and broadband.

Technotiger 21:27 29 Mar 2010

PS - does not matter where one is located, filters are an essential necessity.

northumbria61 22:47 29 Mar 2010

I would suggest that an ADSL filter is fitted directly into your MASTER Telephone Socket and any other socket to which you may have a phone connected.

robin_x 00:01 30 Mar 2010

Also note that I have had two filters fail over last few years. I seem to remember others moaning too last I looked.

If you suspect a filter, and don't have a spare, disconnect them all, leave all telephones/faxes etc disconnected for a few mins and test one at a time with your computer.

Replacements are easy to find and cheap if needed.

naviator 00:48 30 Mar 2010

Thank you for your comments. Obviously most people are aware of the need for filters as I am myself. In this instance my mistake in leaving one out of the circuit highlighted the fact. My reason for mentioning it was to underline the fact to a small minority who may have been unaware of it.

Technotiger 08:49 30 Mar 2010

Fair enough - I thought from your wording, that perhaps this was something you had only just discovered.

In any case, it is good that you wanted to 'pass-it-on' so to speak.

Cheers. TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017