Broadband Speed

Robbiecollie 22:24 27 Apr 2006

Have just installed a linksys wireless modem Model 354g.If I use the wireless connection to my p/c the speeds are abysmal but if I use the ethernet connection the speed realy flies (6.5.Mbps)is this normal

mgmcc 08:41 28 Apr 2006

What speed is your broadband connection supposed to be and how are you checking it?

<<< if I use the ethernet connection the speed realy flies (6.5.Mbps)is this normal >>>

If connecting by ethernet, the Local Area Connection's Properties would normally show the speed of the LAN connection between PC and router(?), which would be 100Mbps. This, of course, isn't related to your broadband connection speed. Hence, what speed are you measuring and how?

Robbiecollie 09:47 28 Apr 2006

Hi MGMCC,
my speed is 8mbps and I use a program called DU Meter
plus tiscali speed checker & adsl guide

mgmcc 12:46 28 Apr 2006

I must confess that I had never actually tried a direct comparison of speeds between a "wired" and a "wireless" connection, but having just done so there is no appreciable difference between the two. This is as it should be, because the network speeds of both should be well above the relatively slow speed (in networking terms) of an internet connection.

If you are experiencing poor speeds with the wireless connection, this has to be down to the quality of the signal between PC and router. If you open the Network Connections folder and double click the Wireless Network Connection to open its 'Status' window, what "Speed" and "Signal Strength" are shown?

Robbiecollie 18:35 30 Apr 2006

MGMCC
found this on the internet

Wep and Speed
WEP ‘WILL’ slow down your wireless network. Expect a 20-50% reduction in speed depending on the products you are using. The speed issue is often the result of an access point without enough processing power.

Robbiecollie 18:49 30 Apr 2006

Hi MGMCC

How fast is ir(real worls)
A full strength 802.11b signal will get you about 3.5-4.5 Mbps without WEP enabled. With WEP enabled, expect 2.5-3.5 Mbps. As you put walls and distance between your wireless adapter and your access point, your speed will drop. Don’t expect to put more than a few walls between you and your access point.

Robbiecollie 18:52 30 Apr 2006

Hi MGMCC
How fast is it (real world)?
A full strength 802.11b signal will get you about 3.5-4.5 Mbps without WEP enabled. With WEP enabled, expect 2.5-3.5 Mbps. As you put walls and distance between your wireless adapter and your access point, your speed will drop. Don’t expect to put more than a few walls between you and your access point

mgmcc 19:11 30 Apr 2006

If you have an 8Mbps broadband internet connection, you don't want to be using 802.11b wireless protocol. Its nominal speed is 11Mbps and, in practice, is likely to be only about half that figure, 5Mbps to 6Mbps.

You need to use an 802.11g wireless adapter whose nominal speed is 54Mbps but, even at 50% of that speed, it is still well above your 8Mbps broadband service.

What you don't want to is to plug an 802.11g USB Wireless Adapter into a USB 1.1 port, because that will limit its data transfer speed to the 12Mbps supported by USB 1.1 - it would need a USB 2.0 port which is forty times faster at 480Mbps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?