broadband speed

raggy 2 19:40 29 Nov 2004

How can you check what Kps the broadband connection is, as I am on 512 but want to up grade and want to know exactly what my connection speed is at the moment???
also when I up grade my ISP (Wanadoo) say I have to pay a £20 fee to cover BT coming out to open up my phone line so it is able to accept the up garde, does this sound true or another way of getting £20 out of another punter

Mikè 19:47 29 Nov 2004
  alan227 19:48 29 Nov 2004

Go to this site.
click here

As far as the £20.00 is concerned I cannot help as I am on cable.

Forum Editor 19:49 29 Nov 2004

that before your connection speed can be increased a BT engineer has to visit your exchange and make a configuration change to the throttle on your broadband connection. Until this is done the service speed will not increase.

Technotiger 19:53 29 Nov 2004

Hi, when on-line you should have a small icon showing in your quick launch bar at bottom right of screen - hover pointer over this icon and it should show speed, but in any case, I don't think you would notice much difference going above 512 -it just 'sounds good'. The slight improvement in speed would only really help if you did a lot of video work; I think:-) About the bt line? sounds a bit dodgy to me.....but I am only an amateur.

JIM 19:56 29 Nov 2004

Option 1 at £17.99?

There is a £20 charge if you are moving from a 512kbps connection to a 1Mbps connection.
There is no charge if you are not changing the speed of your connection.

How would I pay the switch-over charge?

The charge will be collected in the same way as your normal monthly payment.

Can I move back to the £27.99 Broadband product which does not have a usage limit?

No, we're afraid it is not possible to move back to the unlimited £27.99 Broadband product.

How long will it take to move from one Wanadoo Broadband product to another one?

We aim to do this within 10 days of you switching - or sooner.

Would the length of my contract change if I change Broadband product?

No, changing Broadband products is not subject to a contract extension.

Is there a change to the Terms of Use of my contract?

No, the Terms and Conditions for your service remain the same. Please visit click here for full details.

Technotiger 20:02 29 Nov 2004

Hi Guys, I live and learn ..... that's the beauty of Forums. :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?