Broadband sharing.

gill 20:45 01 Jun 2004

Hi Every one,
I have just installed my broadband etc and wish to share it with my laptop.(I Have read the previous posts but this doesn't seem to be covered) My broadband modem is connected to my desktop which is Win 98SE. My laptop is WinXP.I already have network cards in both machine and indeed already have a network set up for exchanging photo's.
My question is ,can you please tell me if it matters that I am going from Win98SE as the client to Win XP as the host and am I likely to encounter any known problems? Many thanks in advance for your help. Gill.

johnsims 20:49 01 Jun 2004

There should be no problems, I have a similar setup in part. Just make sure you put your network behind a router.

One thing to watch, Win98 default name for the home workgroup is WORKGROUP, XP uses MSHOME. Sometimes I have to work hard to convince XP to use the name WORKGROUP as it seems to change itself back to MSHOME every now and again. Would probably be easier to rename it MSHOME in 98 but I have a problem with that as I refuse to have MS in the name. Besides I like being bloody minded!

Blanc Glacier 20:50 01 Jun 2004

You can setup Internet Sharing by running the Network Setup Wizard on your XP machine. Creating a floppy disk and sticking that into your 98SE machine.

gill 21:02 01 Jun 2004

johnsims,
Can you please explain what you mean by,
"Just make sure you put your network behind a router". Thanks Gill

gill 21:05 01 Jun 2004

I forgot to say that I want to set up a ICS net work using a crossover cable. Gill

johnsims 21:43 01 Jun 2004

Gill

Internet - ADSL Modem - Router - PC and Laptop
A router is a bos that all the PCs on your network connect to. It does three jobs - 1. It distributes your internet connection via ethernet cable to all your machines. 2. It has a hardware firewall built in (inbound traffic) 3. It acts as a network hub or switch.

If you want to use ICS I assume you have the standard ISP offering of a USB modem which is unlikely to have an ethernet port so you would need a router which has a USB in port.

Using a router makes for safer broadband (but a bit dearer to set up. Go to Netgear click here for some excellent articles on networking, how it works, what is involved and how to set it all up

gill 22:01 01 Jun 2004

Blanc Glacier and johnsims
Thank you both for your kind help and assistance.
I shall go to Netgear and gen up.
Gill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?