BROADBAND AND SHARED LINE

Panic Button 00:45 02 Aug 2006

I am hoping to upgrade from dial-up to broadband but all providers I've tried say that broadband cannot be supplied on my line because it is shared. Apparently there is a DACS (Digital Access Carrier System) on my BT line. BT confirm this but it say it has nothing to do with them. My phone provider suggest that it was placed there by a cheap phone provider,but I have only ever used BT and my present provider.
Has anyone had experience of this? How can I get this removed? Can BT do it? Do we have to find out who placed it on the line before it can be removed?
I would be very grateful for any advice.

rodriguez 01:05 02 Aug 2006

I don't know if you can get it removed because it's shared - it seems as if you live in a block of flats with a shared line. One way around it is to get cable broadband however if you are in a block of flats this might not work - the other alternative is to go for satellite broadband (click here) which will give you broadband access through a Sky type dish. This will boost your download speed but will not improve your upload speed. If you don't live in a block of flats and you're in a house with it's own line you should be able to get your own private line for ADSL to run on.

Diversion 10:55 02 Aug 2006

Someone is using a Fax Machine or a Credit Card reader for processing sales using a credit or debit card reader, maybe a local shop or someone running a business from home.

Panic Button 18:33 02 Aug 2006

THANKS FOR YOUR FAST RESPONSE TO MY QUERY. I LIVE IN A HOUSE IN A SMALL HAMLET 2 MILES FROM THE EXCHANGE WHICH IS SUPPLYING GOOD BROADBAND TO THE VILLAGE.NO-ONE ELSE WHO I HAVE ASKED SEEMS TO HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM, AND I SEEM TO BE ONE OF THE LAST TO UPGRADE.
WE DON'T HAVE A SHOP BUT SEVERAL PEOPLE WORK FROM HOME AND COULD BE THE CAUSE.
I DID ASK MY NEIGHBOUR IF THEY HAD THIS PROBLEM BUT THEY DO NOT OWN A COMPUTER AND ARE NOT INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT IF THE LINE IS SHARED.
I WILL TRY BT AGAIN BUT I CANNOT GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER AS TO WHETHER I HAVE A SHARED LINE.

SANTOS7 18:35 02 Aug 2006

Panic Button me old coconut, turn off your caps lock, makes it hard to read and would deem you are shouting..

SANTOS7 18:43 02 Aug 2006

click here
click here
some info that may help your cause...

Panic Button 11:54 04 Aug 2006

First of all I apologise for shouting at you. Put it down to my becoming an ignorant old woman!
Secondly, Thankyou for being so kind and going to so much trouble on my behalf.
I can now see the DACS on the pole from my window as I type. It looks new, but I did not see it being put there. I also have a lead as to where to turn next.
At least I now know the root cause of my problem. Thanks again. You are an Angel.

Confab 12:48 04 Aug 2006

I used to have a DACS line installed in my house. The previous occupier was a solicitor who used the extra line for her PC.

One thing I noticed with DACS is that I could not connect to the net using dial-up at any speed greater than 28kb. If the same applies to you then you may find that your dial-up modem has been working at half speed since the DACS was installed.

Confab

Panic Button 23:31 04 Aug 2006

My speed has only dropped from around 27kb to 32/33kb
but I had not connected this to the DACS so thankyou for letting me know. The speed dropped about the beginning of May so that narrows it down a lot. Thanks again.
BT are still not admitting to my having a shared line but my phone company are now looking into the situation. The promised phone call from them is somewhat overdue however, so I am still awaiting the next instalment to the story. I am just hoping that BT will co-operate with them. Thanks again.

Panic Button 15:29 12 Aug 2006

Just an update if any-one is interested.
My phone provider is still looking into getting the DACS removed from my line. They have had no response from BT yet, so I will just have to be patient for a while. However, I have been told that capacity at the
exchange is low. Not good!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017