Broadband Setup

SantasLittleHelper 20:57 13 Apr 2007

Hi All, I came across an unusual problem while setting up my sister in laws broadband modem, wondering if anyone can shed some light on it. I removed her phone from the main BT socket and put the ADSL splitter in there, I then ran a modem cable(RJ11), from the splitter to the modem, and plugged the phone into the phone socket on the splitter. The modem works fine, but the phone will not ring ,you can make outgoing calls no problem, but no ring on the phone for incoming calls. I then put a double phone socket adapter in the main BT socket and put the phone in one slot and the ADSL splitter in the other, then ran the modem cable to the modem, and both the phone and the modem worked o.k. I have tried three different ADSL splitters, all with the same result, I thought that once your line had been converted to broadband the phone would not work without the ADSL splitter. Anyone any ideas?

Technotiger 21:17 13 Apr 2007

Hi, are you sure that your sisters' broadband has been activated by BT or whoever?

SantasLittleHelper 21:21 13 Apr 2007

Yes, the internet connection is flying, all lights on the modem are operational, downloaded a 14Mb file in 22 seconds.

Technotiger 21:26 13 Apr 2007

Hmmm, sorry but then I am as baffled as you are. Certainly is unusual, but as long as it all works ok ... 'Bob's your Fathers' brother' as they say!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?