Broadband by satellite

Dasmad 23:12 16 Dec 2007

I live in rural france and can only get broadband by a newly-available wi-fi antenna down the valley, or by a satellite download-only connection and sustain my current dial-up ISP. I'm pretty sure the wifi system will work here but would like to hear some testimonaial from anybody who uses the satellite system - skyDSL. i.e.is it good, reliable, simple to set up etc.

dms05 08:57 17 Dec 2007

Go for the WiFi solution. It's a standard method of distribution, all you may need is a slightly better antenna.

I have used one way satellite Broadband when I didn't have any alternative. It's not very good despite all the claims otherwise. You get an extremely limited monthly bandwidth allowance at a very modest 'full speed' and after that it's 'best effort' which will be very low and almost certainly slower than your dial up connection. In addition you will need a lot of additional software that is at best rather clunky. Two way should be better but the set up and monthly running costs are high.

I changed to WiFi as soon as it became available (in Spain) and never regretted it. Almost unlimited bandwidth for downloads and a higher speed for all the data. Plus it doesn't use your landline at all.

Dasmad 21:59 18 Dec 2007

thanks dms05 - you've confirmed all my basic feelings about which way to go........I've signed up tonight !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?