Broadband Router Speed OK, PC Speed SLOW????

gtgopher 15:18 28 Sep 2007

Hi,

I need some help, I have Tiscali Broadband up to 8mb speed, my netgear router shows a download speed of, 8027kbps, and if I plug the SAGEM usb modem in direct i get a reading of 6.7mbs, neither of which are bad.... However, all my pc's (3) when doing speed tests on line are giving me a download speed from 43.1 to 160 kbps. One Pc runs Zonealarm the other AVG, the windows firewall is off, and if I turn the virus software off I get no speed improvement. 2pc are running windows XP pro and 1 windows XP 64? any ideas, this has been going on for about a week.

Thanks

Dipso 16:53 28 Sep 2007

See what the BT Speedtester reports your profle as click here If your profile is incorrect that could be limiting your download speed.

Post back with the results.

Probabilitydrive 17:09 28 Sep 2007

In case you are using Speedtest.net...its test is notorious for giving wildly fluctuation download speeds.

You get better results by downlading (and cancelling)
Ubuntu click here and monitoring your true download speed.

Another (more reliable test IMHO) is click here

gtgopher 17:38 28 Sep 2007

Hi,

I have tried this 5 times, I am connected direct to a netgear DG834v3, mtu set at 1500 and using primary/secondry domain addresses as given to ,e by my ISP

Error message is

Unexpected result received when querying the network to find your services connection details. Please try again shortly, but if this problem persists raise the issue with your service provider.

gtgopher 17:47 28 Sep 2007

Hi,
IMHO test results show the following

downstream approx 6mbps
upsteram approx 0.5mbps

Which should be fine, however a 3.2mb file from netgear for the router update took between 25 and 30 mins to download for example.

gtgopher 17:49 28 Sep 2007
  Dipso 22:16 28 Sep 2007

It could just be capacity issues with Tiscali or contention at your local exchange.

Try tweaking the conneciton with TCP Optimizer click here Install the program, set the slider to your current connection speed and select your adapter from the drop down list. Hit Optimal settings and Apply.

Dipso 22:16 28 Sep 2007

It could just be capacity issues with Tiscali or contention at your local exchange.

Try tweaking the conneciton with TCP Optimizer click here Install the program, set the slider to your current connection speed and select your adapter from the drop down list. Hit Optimal settings and Apply.

gtgopher 11:03 29 Sep 2007

I have run this program and it has had no/marginal effect on the speed tests.

I have connected the USB modem direct to one of the pc's and the pc shows an internet connection speed of 6.7mbps, although I do not get that on a speed test, so that makes me think that the speed is there on the line but the PC's are not handling it, are there are settings in IE etc to cause this?
Thanks

Dipso 15:43 29 Sep 2007

"so that makes me think that the speed is there on the line but the PC's are not handling it, are there are settings in IE etc to cause this?"

That is pretty much what TCP Opt does...it's looking like your problem is Tiscali.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?