Broadband router question

  Saintmoly 22:32 03 May 2006

I am a novice when it comes to all this so I could do with some advice. I will try and keep it simple.

I have a phone line next to my PC and have a broadband connection with Wanadoo through my BT phone line.

If I buy a product like the Linksys WRT54GS will this replace my broadband modem which Wanadoo sent me? & Does it connect to my PC with an ethernet cable?
PC world have an offer on this product at the moment which includes a USB adaptor, does this mean I could do away with the ethernet cable and the router will connect wirelessly to the PC via the USB adaptor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

  ade.h 22:55 03 May 2006

The WRT54GS is - if it is a derivative of the WRT54G - a cable/DSL router, and is therefore totally unsuitable for an ADSL service. It has no modem component and is designed to work with a cable modem. You require an ADSL modem/router which you must use without your existing modem. The latter should be removed from your PC and its software/drivers must be uninstalled.

You can use a router entirely wirelessly, BUT: you must use an Ethernet cable when performing initial setup via a client PC's browser and whenever you adjust a setting that affects the wireless link (including security settings and ADSL connection settings). Therefore, you must bear this need in mind when positioning your router if you do not have a laptop. A laptop would allow configuration to be performed at any time regardless of the router's placement.

By theway; router placement should be carefully considered to avoid interference.

  ade.h 22:57 03 May 2006

click here for confirmation of the WRT54GS's unsuitability.

  mgmcc 23:51 03 May 2006

The Linksys WAG54GS is the equivalent product with combined ADSL modem. The PC World offer includes Linksys routers with and without ADSL modem, although I'm not sure of the actual reference number for the ADSL version in their offer.

  Saintmoly 07:47 04 May 2006

So it looks like I need the ADSL version from PC world.

With refernce to positioning, I live in a modern house so there are very few internal brick walls. The PC is located in a spare bedroom and I want to transmit music files to the hifi system in the lounge below. I guess this should be ok?


  mgmcc 08:33 04 May 2006

A "wireless router" is used:

[a] to connect a computer "wirelessly" to your broadband service (often useful for mobility with a laptop computer)


[b] to let you network two or more computers for Internet, File & Printer sharing, with either "wired" or "wireless" connections.

It is not generally used for wireless connections to a domestic HiFi system, unless that also has 802.11b/g compatible wireless networking built in.

  Saintmoly 16:08 04 May 2006

I am going to use a product called a squeezebox. It is available in wired or wireless form and acts as an interface between your PC and Hi-Fi system. It allows you to stream music from your PC (in itunes or realplayer etc.) to your main system.

You can see the product here...

click here

  ade.h 17:18 04 May 2006

That came out well in a recent test. click here

  mgmcc 17:19 04 May 2006

<<< I am going to use a product called a squeezebox. >>>

Fair enough, it's not something I was familiar with. :)

<<< So it looks like I need the ADSL version from PC world. >>>

The answer to that is 'yes'. I was actually in PC World earlier to-day, but my branch only had the WRT54GS (Cable version) left so I couldn't check the model number for the ADSL version.

  Kase 08:57 06 May 2006

added to my postings for info Thanks


  JanuszM 12:44 06 May 2006

Check with Wanadoo if they apply MAC adress restrictions, if yes you can connect only their modem ;-) . Whatever you wonna do is NOT a Wanadoo brodband ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)