Broadband Router - ADSL - Modem Confusion

babybell 14:00 08 Sep 2005

I connect to the internet using BT BB which i have had for many years now using the very first USB Modem they supplied with it. Since the speeds of BB were increased we have had regular drop outs ever 5 mins and the modem stops working and the pc cannot detect the modem. BT said it was due to the increase in speed so sent us a cd with the new drivers, which hasn't helped. I rang BT again and they have tried to flog me a new modem but i'm sure i can pick one up cheaper on ebay or something. My question is though, i have heard from some people that their drop out issues stopped when they switched from the modem to a router? Whats the difference and what BT Routers do you guys recommend?

scotty 14:45 08 Sep 2005

Have a look at this page click here

I would recommend one of the basic cheap models. I use this one click here

It has 4 ethernet connections should you with to share BB with other PCs. Cheap reliable and easy to set up.

blackstorm2k 02:14 21 Sep 2005

I've seen other posts from people with the same problem.

I recommend changing ISP. I'm with pipex and think they're service has been outstanding (many others agree with me).
They're cheap, reliable & provide a fantastic connection.
My dad is on BT BB and it's expensive & frequently loses the connection.

engsurv 20:44 22 Sep 2005

blackstorm2k
Your dad's BT BB connection must have some other problem regarding lost connection! I have BT BB and have never had a lost connection! However I have just found out I am only 750meters away from my BT exchange.

engsurv 20:58 22 Sep 2005

blackstorm2k
If you go to the "consumerwatch" forum you will see a thread " How far are you from your BT exchange. If you put in your phone number and postcode and click on the type of BT line you have, it will tell you the name of your local exchange and the direct distance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?