Broadband and REN numbers

Truronian 09:56 29 Nov 2007

I have 2 land line phones at home plus a pair of digital cordless phones, only one of which needs to be, and is, plugged into a telephone socket. I have no REN number for the cordless phones. As i am running my computer on BB, is there a REN number for that line as well?

Carpigiani 13:50 29 Nov 2007

For cordless phones the REN number should be on the base unit, the amount of handsets which will work is also determined by the base unit.

I stand to be corrected, but as far as I know the maximum REN for your line will be 4.

Cockney Rebel 18:25 29 Nov 2007

Just to confirm that Carpigiani is correct in stating the maximum REN is 4.Most telephone equipment is rated at 1,but some eg faxes maybe rated at 1+half or 2.I am using a BT hub+phone plus a pair of cordless phones with no problems.

Truronian 19:19 29 Nov 2007

What I really want to know is if my computer also has aREN number when being used when phones are being used. The two earlier replies have certainly clarified part of my query. Thank you to bnoth of them.

HCOOH 22:43 29 Nov 2007

I don't think the Broadband has a REN number as it is a digital stream that shares the copper wire used by the telephones.

Carpigiani 20:26 30 Nov 2007

Just to confirm that your computer does not have a REN number (Ringing equivalence number).

The REN number is only applicable to equipment with a ringer, e.g. telephones & fax machines.

terryf 00:21 01 Dec 2007

REN stands for Ringer Equivalence Number there fore since Bband doesn't have a ringer it doesn't count. It is always easy when you know how. This is not meant as sarcasm, I started maintaining computers in 1963 and I am still learning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?