Broadband & REN

carper 16:07 03 Mar 2006

I have four phones on my home telephone, each with a REN value of 1.
If I go onto Broadband will a need to disconnect one or more phones to make sure the system is not overloaded. Any help appreciated. Regards Carper

skidzy 16:13 03 Mar 2006

Are any of these phones cordless and work from a base station...if so you should be fine.You may well need a doubler,with your broadband modem you will receive a filter also.

Batch 17:40 03 Mar 2006

Not 100% certain, but I believe that you can ignore the b'band when counting RENs.

Stuartli 17:54 03 Mar 2006

I've had an REN figure of up to six when using broadband and it's never affected it nor a dialup modem.

Diemmess 18:05 03 Mar 2006

The normal line needs something like 50 volts to operate properly and the REN maximum is usually understated on the safe side

BB is a high frequency signal which is available without a current penalty on the line. The necessary power being drawn from the USB connection for the transmitter/receiver/filter, so unless I'm talking rubbish (I hope not) BB will not influence the REN number.

Meshuga 18:23 03 Mar 2006

Hi carper, you can obtain a REN amplifier which will give you an additional 10 ren facility. It is mains powered and has sockets for connecting to your phone circuit. I can`t remember what mine cost but not excessive. I have 8 phones including Sky box and a personal emergency alarm connected through the phone system.

woodchip 18:54 03 Mar 2006

Ren does not apply to BB

carper 13:56 04 Mar 2006

Thanks for all your help, I can rest easy now Regards Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?