Broadband question

zigg 10:53 18 Sep 2005

I would like to get a braodband connection for my PC, but am unsure of two things.
Firstly, my telephone line rental is with BT and our telephone bill comes form first telecom. If I go broadband do I have to have the same provider for my telephone and broadband connection or can I keep the seperation between my telephone account/ line rental and broadband provider?

Secondly, which broadband provider do you think is the best value, as our main concern is to get a low monthly charge?
Any advice appreciated!

Graham ® 11:02 18 Sep 2005

Taff36 11:02 18 Sep 2005

click here Don`t think it will make any difference to your existing arrangements. If you follow this wizard you can select a one off payment of £11.75 and only commit to a monthly account as opposed to a 12 month contract. Free modem, set up etc all included as well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:02 18 Sep 2005

If I go broadband do I have to have the same provider for my telephone and broadband connection or can I keep the separation between my telephone account/ line rental and broadband provider?

You pay your chosen ISP for the BB it does not affect the other payments, the ISP pay BT for the BB activated line.

BB comparisons click here

Beware of quality of service, help etc. It is better to ask users of different BB in you area for their opinions.

johnnyrocker 11:07 18 Sep 2005

click here for isp comparitor and your other questions have been answered.

johnny.

Stuartli 11:08 18 Sep 2005

I have a BT line and pay it line rental, phone charges go to One.Tel and broadband payments to Tiscali.

Just choose the best packages for your requirements and don't worry about it...:-)

zigg 11:40 18 Sep 2005

Thanks for your advice,Plusnet seem like a good option. One more question though. With broadband, do you get your internet usage for free (ie no phone bill for internet use) once you have paid your monthly charge?

Graham ® 11:54 18 Sep 2005

Yes, it's free. If you want a referral for Plus, use mine: grahamdeepwell :-)

theDarkness 12:12 18 Sep 2005

I went with pipex, never had any probs. Currently on 2.2Mbps for £23 a month (I had already bought the modem), although Im sure you get cheaper services with other companies for that speed now.. click here

zigg 12:21 18 Sep 2005

Thank you all

zigg 12:30 18 Sep 2005

Sorry folks there are some other things I also wanted to check.
Does 2mb broadband always work in any area as long as you have a BT connection?
Can you keep your existing phone number if my telephone account will be with a different provider?
Finally, if you are connected to broadband, can you take incoming calls or do you have to disconnect first?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?