Broadband queries?

Total_Sabotage 02:39 24 Apr 2010

Hey guys sorry if this is in the wrong section but I have a few questions about broadband and what not total newbie at this.

1.I have mobile broadband on my laptop my broadband cap is 15gb for the month.Every month 3 or 4 days before i get topped up I run too close to my limit so can't use it or I'll get charged extra.
So I've started monitoring it and in the last 30 mins I've downloaded 100 mb and uploaded 4 mb?.Is this a bit excessive since all I was doing was browsing the net and chatting on msn.So what I'm really asking what to avoid etc etc all i can think of is not to look on youtube too much (and not look at other things that will make you go blind :P).

2.I have broadband with my PC and it's hooked up to the telephone line.Recently the splitter block that you have your broadband line and telephone cable going into(Sorry I don't know the proper term)broke.I put in an old telephone block we have so the broadband and phone can be connected except every time the phone rings broadband gets cut off.So rang my internet company about a replacement and got told it would cost me €50(around £43 since this is an UK site :P).So it's a tad bit expensive and i was wondering would anyone know where to get the splitter block that allows the phone and broadband to run together for a reasonable price?

So your help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance (that's if someone answers this :P).

hastelloy 04:48 24 Apr 2010

Can't answer your first question but for question 2 click here or click here or click here|countryGB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=JmnSS_b2D4Hw0wTRj7DfDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCQQrQQwAg and take your pick. Go for a quality rather than price.

mooly 08:13 24 Apr 2010

ADSL filter are cheap and readily available,
click here

Web browsing doesn't use to much capacity, it's movies, music files, video files etc that clock it up.
Just checked mine, and in 20 days I have used 4.5gb download, and under 1 gb upload, but no youtube/movies etc in that.
Your figure sounds reasonable if you do a lot of downloads and watching you tube etc.

sunnystaines 08:15 24 Apr 2010

try your local maplin store or their online dept

click here

as for mobile dongle i would stick to pay as you go option not monthly with extra charges for over use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?