Broadband Puzzle

avesnes1 21:40 11 Feb 2007

I'm relatively new to Broadband and I'm not sure what is normal and what is abnormal. Every so often and particularly if I have not changed to another website for several minutes, I get this message:-
"Work Offline.
No connection to the Internet is currently available. To view Internet content that has been saved on your computer, click 'Work Offline'. Click 'Try Again'to attempt to connect."

Clicking 'Try Again' always re-establishes the connection.

Is this normal on Broadband? If not, where should I look to try to cure this annoyance?

a) Internet explorer
b) Windows XP Media Center
c) Hewlett Packard (the computer's manufacturer)
d) Orange Livebox Broadband settings

Grateful for any clues guidance or suggestions.

P.S. The 'Work Offline' message has just occurred as I was finishing typing this posting!!

bennyhillslovechild 22:24 11 Feb 2007

Sounds like your Livebox is dropping the connection after being idle for a while. If you go into the settings of the Livebox, you should see an option for Idle Timeout or similar - set that to 0, and it should maintain your connection.

Dipso 22:28 11 Feb 2007

I used to get this and couldn't find a solution but the problem has now gone away. The connection definitely wasn't dropping though as there was nothing showing inmy routers logs. Web searches suggest it may be related to adware/spyware, doing scans won't do any harm.

Ho-Lin-Sok 23:12 11 Feb 2007

Possible connection to Flash player, I cannot be sure as mine went away without a reason. You could check your flash player is working as a precaution.

Ho-Lin-Sok 23:14 11 Feb 2007

P.S. PCA site used to trigger mine too.

avesnes1 16:17 12 Feb 2007

bennyhillslovechild,
Thanks for the tip. However I've been through all the Livebox settings/configuration and I cannot find anything relating to Idle Timeout or similar. The only item that seems to have a time dimension is the 10 minutes for pairing which is the time allowed during the initial setup of the Livebox. It's all a bit of a puzzle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?