Broadband phone interferance

Si_L 09:25 18 Sep 2007

I have just installed broadband for a relative, and it all works fine, except on the phone there is background noise.

I have installed it the way the BT disc told me to (a microfilter in the broadband line, DSL cable to modem, phone cable from filter to phone), and I have tried running another filter plugged into the phone slot to sort it, but it makes no difference.

Any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Ta :-)

johnnyrocker 09:27 18 Sep 2007

have you filtered all extensions?

johnny.

Si_L 09:32 18 Sep 2007

Hi, could you define what you mean by extensions. (Sorry I have just woken up)

:-)

moodboom 09:38 18 Sep 2007

You need to put a microfilter into every BT socket in the house. I've never been sure why if there's nothing plugged into them.

On the small off chance of coincidence, unplug everything and just put the phone back in to see if there's not a fresh fault on the line.

Technotiger 09:38 18 Sep 2007

If more than one phone in the premises, each phone must have its own filter.

If crackling noise persists get BT to check the line - could be water/rust in an outside phone connection.

Marko797 10:15 18 Sep 2007

I don't think that's true. U should have an in-line filter only where there are additional fones installed, plus I think the max number of filters (recommended by AOL anyway) is 3 or 4/household.

Si_L - For the PC BB connection, the fone skt that u are using must have a filter fitted, with the PC/phone connections fitted into this filter.

Si_L 10:42 18 Sep 2007

"You need to put a microfilter into every BT socket in the house. I've never been sure why if there's nothing plugged into them.

On the small off chance of coincidence, unplug everything and just put the phone back in to see if there's not a fresh fault on the line."

Solved the problem. Thanks :)

Graham. 10:55 18 Sep 2007

A spare socket must be 'terminated' by a filter. An open circuit is susceptible to induced interference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017