Broadband Over the Mains

Marios 21:23 22 Nov 2005

Hi,
will anyone who knows please enlighten me on the issue? how does this work and how fast and reliable is it? eg do i need to connect it to my pc and then another adapter upstairs and so another pc will get internet access? i checked on the net but not found much.
Thanks, Marios

keewaa 21:41 22 Nov 2005

Are you talking about the limited availablitiy of BB coming in through the power lines from an ISP,

or the system of sharing BB aroung your own home using the main ring & net2plug ?

Marios 21:59 22 Nov 2005

you lost me and it shows i am a beginner in this area! what is the difference?

tamc98 22:06 22 Nov 2005

As for as I know the only place currently doing BB over Mains (National Grid) is in Australia. I seem to remember reading a story about it a while back. It was just in the testing stages then but they had managed to get up to 100meg download rates.

Not too sure on the technical side of things but I would assume it piggy-backs on the mains and is then filtered, much in the same way as an ADSL uses a standard phone line.

I could of imagined this though. It might be worth taking a look in the New Scientist archives. There may be something in there.

HTH, Tony.

Stuartli 22:08 22 Nov 2005

Are you talking about wireless connections between two systems or the method of using the house mains system and special adapters?

There is a method available for the latter. See:

click here

Stuartli 22:09 22 Nov 2005

A number of years ago Norweb conducted experiments in the North West to network computer systems via the mains - it worked but noise and no doubt other reasons proved a problem at the time.

PC Bilbo 22:32 22 Nov 2005

I think (am guessing) you may have seen the type of networking system that busses the signal around the house mains circuit. Such a system is advertised here click here

This is not that new an idea as I worked with a company manufacturing a hybrid circuit to achieve a similar set up to this in the mid 90's and it was designed to link up to tranceivers in office buildings mainly for wireless security.

The advantages in the home are that you can plug a transceiver into a mains socket near your equipment and bus the signal round the mains cable so the final wireless link is a very short distance thus overcoming the vagaries of local signal conditions (Reinforced walls etc.)

I have no personal experience of the system in the link but the idea seems good.It might be worth finding a sales outlet online and read any customer reviews that are posted to see how they fared with it.

keewaa 22:42 22 Nov 2005

Some houses have 2 mains rings which causes a problem as they aren't connected.

The new standard is capable of 85Mbps click here but is very expensive.

Personally, if I could find someone who had any of these in stock (14Mbps)I would buy them as they are dirt cheap ... but everyone is out of stock and they don't seem to be being made anymore as they are the slower 14Mbps :
click here
click here

Marios 20:00 23 Nov 2005

thank you all for your feedback. keewaa's links are examples of what i saw on a leaflet by Maplin. i will look into it more now,
thanks all again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone