Broadband for older Computer

Dorset123 11:01 31 Dec 2006

A friend has a Dell Dimension XPS M233S which is about 8 years old and would like to get broadband but the computer doesnt have a suitable connection on it, it does have have USB socket but it isnt USB 2 so it will not work has anyone got any ideas if it can it be upgraded.
Thank you for your help.

johnnyrocker 11:09 31 Dec 2006

as far as i know the old usb will work ok, mine is not usb 2 and all is ok, the issues are more likely to be os and memory.

johnny.

Diodorus Siculus 11:09 31 Dec 2006

Add a PCI network card and that will be better - with a good modem /router it will wrok fine.

What ISP does he want?

john-232317 11:09 31 Dec 2006

I am on an old K6 400 at the mo as my other one is sick ;-)

I have an ethernet card in the PC connected to a router plugged into the phone socket. The router can take up to 5 PC`s. Although it takes longer to load etc on the old machine it is still acceptable.

Technotiger 11:13 31 Dec 2006

Hi, I think if he upgrades his modem to a v92 he should be able to get broadband, or, if he fits a pci Ethernet card and gets a adsl modem router he would be able to get broadband ok.

Totally-braindead 11:21 31 Dec 2006

The speed of the processor and the amount of memory would I think be the deciding factor. I think the minimum speed for BB is something like a 350mhz with 64mb RAM and as long as it has that it would be ok. I'm unsure about the USB 2.0 issue as my PC has USB 2.0 but as far as I know it works on USB 1.1 as well. Suggest you look up the website for whatever BB provider you are considering and see what they say are the minimum specs required.

Totally-braindead 11:27 31 Dec 2006

Checked the BT site and it states minimum requirements are Pentium 2, 233MHz Processor or above 64Mb RAM Memory and Windows XP Windows ME Windows 2000 or Windows 98 SE.
As long as the PC has that it should work ok.

Dorset123 13:46 31 Dec 2006

Thanks everyone for your answers will try them out and see what happens.
Thanks

Batch 16:19 31 Dec 2006

USB 1.1 speed is 12Mbps, whereas USB 2.0 is 12Mbps.

It seems unlikely that your friend would get a BB connection greater than (or anything approaching) 12Mbps (especially for such an old PC). So the limiting factor is likely to be the BB connection.

The easiest (and simplest / cheapest) solution would be to get a USB ADSL Modem (like a BT Voyager 105). Although discontinued, these can be picked up on ebay for around £3-4 + P&P.

Then all you need is a BB service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?