broadband newby

superhunk 09:45 10 Apr 2004

hi m8's,

just switched on yesterday i've got the phone up and running,so i think i've got the filters working ok,

os xp

touble is i keep getting system freeze so all i can do is switch off which i don't like doing,

i disabled the old modem?

firewall constantly blocking something or other?

any ideas,

super:)

bruno 10:19 10 Apr 2004

Can't help you with the freezing,but you do not necessarily have to disable the dial up modem.I still use both in case of an emergency .

Graham ® 10:28 10 Apr 2004

If the BB modem is connected via USB, there shouldn't be anything connected to the second port.

superhunk 11:00 10 Apr 2004

i've re-enabled the old modem,

altered size of internet temp file ,

defraged system so we'll see how we go many thanks for input guys,

fsbb 13:01 10 Apr 2004

It is a good idea to unplug dialup modem and only plug it in if you need to use it. This is a safeguide incase a rogue dialer gets on your system. Dialers can't dial out via BB but will dial out via a connected dialup modem possibly without you knowing until phone bill arrives..

Dipso 00:13 11 Apr 2004

Sounds like a power issue with the modem. This is a known problem with VIA based chipsets, I don't know if this applies to you?.

If you have the same problem after disconnecting any other USB powered devices you could try a self powered USB hub.

Forum Editor 00:24 11 Apr 2004

USB ADSL modems are power hungry, and should ideally be connected directly to a USB port on the motherboard.

JACC 00:35 11 Apr 2004

yep , i would agree that the modem should be connected into the pc direct .Another thing you could do is download the latest drivers for your modem . I had a problem with my modem and new drivers sorted it out . Good luck to you ,when you get going you'll find BB is worth every penny.

superhunk 14:40 11 Apr 2004

cheers guys,

i've done just that taken modem out of hub and plugged into usb port directly so we'll see how we go,

super

superhunk 13:40 12 Apr 2004

seems to be fine now ince just taking the modem off the hub anf pluggnd directly into the useb port,

many thanks for you help,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?