Broadband Network

johnexpgn 06:54 26 Aug 2009

I wish to set up a broadband connection from my computer downstairs to another computer upstairs.
I have a Talktalk Broadband modem SMART AX MT882 which has one LAN and one ETHERNET connection at the rear.
I have an ethernet connection on both computers.
I have been looking at homeplug adapters notably the dLAn duo Starter kit.
I am not sure how the connections work out with this combination.
Can I use the LAN socket to connect directly to one of the computers and use the ethernet socket to connect to the homeplug device?
Or do I have to just connect to the homeplug device with the ethernet socket and use the second homeplug device on the computer downstairs and a third device on the computer upstairs?
Or do I need a replacement modem with several ethernet outlets and then connect direct to one computer and also to the homeplug device on the wall socket?
There seem to be so many combinations of gadgets that are possible. I just want a simple reliable way of being able to use my broadband connection on both my computers.
Opinion seems to be for the homeplug devices rather than miles of ethernet cable and they seem to be faster and more reliable than wireless solutions.
I would be interested in anyone's experiences.

ashleycardwell94 23:10 09 Sep 2009

you dont specify how you want to connect the computers? Wirelessly? it would be easier to get an ethernet hub or a wireless router which would have a DHCP server built in so no manual configuring of ip addresses and no IP confilcts which can lead to loss of connectivity. more info would be better and what is the second computer? wireless? laptop?

johnexpgn 18:39 10 Sep 2009

I have now succeeded in connecting the two computers to the broadband connection!!

I messed about buying a new wireless router from my broadband supplier 'TalkTalk' which, despite being assured it would work with the TalkTalk system, did not work. So I sent it back and claimed a refund. What a waste of time!!

I then obtained a 5 port ethernet switch from Maplin for £19.99 and connected a loop lead from my original router to the switch. Then connected another ethernet lead directly to my desk top from the switch. Then a 3rd lead connecting a Devolo Homeplug adapter plugged into the mains socket to the switch.

I then plugged in a second Devolo Adapter into the mains socket upstairs and connected it up to my other desktop computer. The internet was immediately accessible upstairs as well.

No lengthy and expensive wiring and no interference on a wireless link and all done in about 15-20minutes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?