broadband network

  jerryj 21:32 06 Mar 2004

I have been asked to set a 2 computers to run off broadband.
They have freeserve.
I think its the stand package, but you can only run 1 computer off.
What do i need to conect them both ?
Do they need to buy a router or do they need a new modem ?

  PC Mad Boy. 21:41 06 Mar 2004

Use what I have recently done, get two wireless pci cards, set them us as peer to peer aka ad-hoc.

  jerryj 21:45 06 Mar 2004

Dont you have to have both computers on for this to work ?
If so not good.

  PC Mad Boy. 22:01 06 Mar 2004

Well yes you do, this is the cheapest Ad-hoc route. If you need the PC to be available whilst teh other is offline then you will need a router.

  Strawballs 22:30 06 Mar 2004

If you would like to access the net from either without the other being switched on then you will need a router.
The router is connected to the modem so you will not need to change it.
If you wish to share a printer from either machine without the other being switched on then you will need a print server or a router with a print server built in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?