Broadband modem not seen

emmos 21:32 08 Jun 2004

I am using a voyager 2000 broadband modem plugged into my pc and also wireless to a laptop which is working correctly,the pc keeps coming up with the message unable to detect modem then disconnects me , the only way I can get it back is to switch off the pc and leave it off for a while, it will then work ok until I close the web page down then it will close down again- any ideas out there. Dave

smudge101 23:19 08 Jun 2004

I think we could do with a few more details, such as operating system, isp and whether your connection is ADSL or cable. Does your modem connect through a usb port? Can you connect to the internet sometimes and if so how is the connection speed?

emmos 08:07 09 Jun 2004

win xp, bt broadband,ethernet from modem,I can connect but as soon as I close down the web page the message cannot detect modem appears and I have to switch off for a while then it goes through the whole cycle again, speed is ok when I can get online, it happened occasionally but now its every time I connect. Dave

Graham ® 10:01 09 Jun 2004

This could be a power issue. The modem should be on a USB hub on its own, ie. nothing in the second port. Check USB hubs in Device Manager for Power.

rober32 10:49 09 Jun 2004

The "Cannot detect the BT Voyager ADSL Modem. Search it again” error is caused by a software/application issue on your PC. Usually Norton and its updates. To fix this, completely remove the connection wizard by going to start/programs/Bt Voyager/uninstall Bt Voyager 2000 wireless. You do not need this software installed in order for the wireless adapter to work.

rober32 11:08 09 Jun 2004

Should have also said that a Firmware upgrade is avilable to download from click here
The newer firmware does away with the need for a connection wizard completely.

emmos 18:03 09 Jun 2004

if I disable norton av will I be able to stop online long enough to download the firmware required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?